Chapter 4

Yua's POV:

~~~Around 30 minutes earlier~~~

I head over from my last class to my locker. The hallway, as usual, is packed with barely any space to breathe. Just before I start looking for Shiro, a hand grabs my wrist and pulls me away from my locker to outside our school. Kai. Ugh, what does he want now? 

"You are going to come with me," he strictly instructs. Like I'm going to listen to him.

"No. I am not going to come with you. Don't tell me what to do," I say while pulling my wrist back.

"Is that so? Well, not today. You will suffer the consequences of your words."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask.

"Let's find out."

A few minutes later, he takes me near the park where Shiro and I usually hang out. His whole group is standing there like they're a group of gangsters about to punch the heck out of someone. And I was right.

"Stand right here," Kai tells me. As soon as I open my mouth to say something, Daisuke punches me in the guts. I cover my mouth with my left hand and grasp my stomach with my right, trying as hard as I can, not to puke. The rest of them join in. They take turns punching me, and I eventually start coughing up blood. They finally take a break from hurting me. I hear Shiro calling me.

"Yua!" He shouts. 

"Oh, looks like your friend has finally come," Kai tells me while giving me a one last punch. I'm too weak to even stand up, so I fall down to my knees and cough up more blood.

"Kai, stop! You're hurting her!" Shiro yells at them.

"Way to point out the obvious," Haruto says. I really want to punch them in the face, but I'm rendered useless. My vision goes slightly blurry and my head is spinning.

"Yeah, and what's a wimp like you going to do against us, huh?" Those words echo just a few seconds (or minutes, I'm not sure) before I faint. It's not like I wanted to, but my body wouldn't listen to me, even when I had the urge to get up and fight.

~~~Currently~~~

I slowly open my eyes to the blinding light from the windows and to two blurry people heading in my direction.

"Give her some space to breathe." I recognize that voice. It's Shiro's mom, Aoi-san. I try to sit up, but my attempt fails because of my weak core. Nishi helps me up.

"Yua-san! Are you okay? Should I grab some water?" Nishi's sweet, young, 12-year-old voice asks me.

"It's alright, I'm fine," I tell her while giving her a warm smile. Aoi-san comes and sit on a chair in front of me.

"I think you should still have some water. You seem to have lost quite a bit of blood," She tells me. Shiro remains quietly seated beside me as Aoi-san continues talking.

"What's the last thing you remember?" She kindly asks me.

"Um, I remember Shiro p-punching Kai i-in the f-f-face and grabbing me, t-then running off. I t-think I fainted in h-his arms..." I say the last part a bit quietly because only after I say it, I realize how cringey it sounded. Aoi-san and Nishi slightly smirk at each other, causing both Shiro and me to blush. But as I think more about it, I realize that Shiro just carried me all the way from the park back to his apartment! How is he not tired? He's not exactly the type of guy who goes to the gym a lot......

"Yua-san? Are you okay?" I immediately stirr away from my thoughts as I realize my face is now pretty flushed. Aoi-san is in the kitchen preparing something.

"Oh, y-yeah. I'm great. I'll be heading home, now. Thank you for letting me stay," I say while getting up from the couch and bowing. I still feel a bit weak and dizzy, but I think I can manage walking home. My family lives just 3 floors above Shiro's. 

"Why not let Shiro walk you? I don't think it's safe for you to walk up that many stairs without any support. You're still weak," Aoi-san tells me.

"O-okay," I reply. I'm pretty sure my mom is really worried. Or will be really worried. Whenever I stay out after school, I let her know. Maybe she'll assume that I'm at Shiro's place? Aoi-san notices my worried face and gives me an assuring smile.

"Don't worry, I'll call your mother to let her know that everything's fine. You can tell her the rest when you like."

"Thank you," I bow. I turn towards the door and nearly fall from how dizzy that made me. Luckily, Shiro catches me. 

"Let's go," He says.

While we walk up the stairs, it's pretty silent at first. We can hear the birds chirping to each other as the clouds move really slowly in the almost completely blue sky. The air is warm and humid. The wind slightly blows in my hair because the stairs aren't covered by walls. They are instead surrounded by pillars.

"So..." I start. I'm pretty sure this is the longest few minutes of my life with Shiro. And the most awkward.

"Hey, uhm, I hope you don't mind me asking, but why was Kai... You know," He asks me.

"Something about 'suffering the consequences of my words.' But don't worry too much about it. I'm fine," I tell him.

"Okay. Well, looks like we're finally at the 5th floor. How long was that? 20 minutes?"

"I don't know, but it definitely felt like it. Either the walk was super awkward, or we're super slow walkers," I say.

"Pfft, probably the first one." 

 After we both arrive at my apartment door, Shiro knocks on the door. I feel a bit dizzy again and can't help but start falling to the floor. Shiro grabs my back and I grab his shoulders, making it seem as if we were slow dancing. We look into each others' eyes and it's at that specific moment that my mom just had to open the door! 

"Yu— Uhm..." She stares at us with many emotions on her face. It's a mix of disbelief, shock, and a little bit of... adoration? Shiro immediately lets go of me as I do the same, but I end up landing on the floor.

"H-hey, Mom..." I nervously say while blushing.

"S-Sakura-san! Um, Y-Yua's h-here, and I'm s-sure that my m-mom called y-you... Um, h-have a n-nice day..?" I see that Shiro's just as red as I am. 

"Yes, y-you too," My mom tells him as he walks away while rubbing the back of his neck. 

"So, are you and Shiro—"

"NO!" I yell and head to my room, slamming the door shut. Just great. I've heard a few rumors about us dating in the hallway at school, but my own mom? This is so embarrassing. We're just best friends. Why can't anyone understand that? 

I flop down on my bed with my sketchbook and pencil and start to draw something. I'm not sure what. I just draw whatever's on my mind. I look out the window at some points, but I keep drawing. I draw a face, a body, some clothes, and hair. It's a boy. Then I draw another person. A girl this time. They are both holding hands and walking in the rain. The boy is holding an umbrella over the two of them. I shade in some of the parts like the hair and the clothes. I normally don't draw this kind of stuff. It's not exactly an ideal drawing, but I hang it up on my wall, anyway.

(1258 words)

A/N: I apologize for the super cringey-ness in this chapter 😅. I'll try making the next chapter longer. I'm not very used to writing long chapters like everyone else, but I'll get used to it! Let me know if there are any mistakes in my writing and I will try to fix them. Thank you! —Mido-chan ♡