Prologue

2023

The battle was still fresh in Wanda's mind, almost as if it was still happening in her head. She would still get flashbacks from it, she could still hear people screaming and yelling in her head. She remembered every little detail, the team arriving in Wakanda, fighting Thanos' army, doing everything in their power to win and then lose, only to come back 5 years later and win the fight. 

The feeling of panic and the fear was still with her. With every single noise, she would flinch. With every sudden movement, her eyes would glow red. That daunting feeling was always with her and she could never shake it off. 

But out of all the things she remembered, there were two moments that haunted her the most. 

The first one was the moment she was pulled to the side and told that Natasha has passed away. She had died to bring all of them back and Wanda felt as if she could rip the world in half with her bare hands. The love of her life, her soulmate, her best friend, was gone. 

Wanda couldn't even imagine what it felt like for Natasha to spend those 5 years without her, but it wasn't fair that she would have to spend the rest of her life without Natasha. It just wasn't fair. 

But that wasn't her most painful memory. The worst one was the moment Natasha said her last words to her. 

The girls were sitting in a ditch, in the middle of the battle in Wakanda. They had given their all and had just killed another one of the soldiers from Thanos' army. 

She remembered the look Natasha had given her, the smile on her face as if they weren't in a war, as if everything was okay. But to Wanda, every time she saw that smile life couldn't get better than that. 

Natasha's words echoed in her mind, she would hear them everyday. There was nothing she didn't regret from that moment. She wished it had last longer, she would've said more, done more. She would've changed all of it if she knew it would've ended like this. 

Wanda had never felt more alone than she did now, she had no one and she knew that every single time her loved ones had died, a part of her had died too. 

She was broken out of her trance when a beautiful orange butterfly landed on her knee. Wanda looked down, not making any sudden movements as she looked down at creature. She put on a faint smile on her face, keeping her eyes on the butterfly. 

She looked back up, looking at the forest that stretched out for miles in front of her. There was nothing specific that she was thinking about, she just looked at it thinking about those two memories. She would do that everyday. 

The battle had only happened a few days ago and Wanda had nowhere to go, no home. But Wanda wasn't the only one that lost someone due to the battle. Pepper Potts had lost the most important person in her life, no one else other than Wanda would be able to understand that grief. She had experienced it multiple different times. 

Wanda adored hearing all the stories about Natasha from before they met, about her working for Tony and the mess that was. It brought a smile to her face knowing that Natasha had friends with her, and knowing that Tony would keep her company for eternity made her happy. 

"Wanda?" Pepper said from the kitchen window, Wanda's head turning to look in that direction. 

As soon as she did, the beautiful butterfly flew away, leaving Wanda alone on the porch for a bit. She took one last glance at the forest before walking inside the cabin, reaching the kitchen. She leaned on the kitchen doorway, watching as Pepper helped Morgan paint a drawing. She could've had that. 

"Hey." Wanda finally murmured, Pepper looking up to face her.

"Hi, are you okay?" Pepper asked, like she did everyday. 

"Yeah, I'm okay." Wanda lied, like she did everyday. "You? How are you holding up?" She asked, taking a seat in front of Pepper. 

"I'm better than yesterday." Pepper said, looking at Morgan with a faint smile on her face. "I called you in because you have mail. It's on the counter." Pepper said, pointing at the counter behind Wanda. 

Wanda reached out and took two envelopes in her hand. Looking down at both of them confused, not expecting anything. 

"What's S.W.O.R.D?" Wanda asked, as she opened the blue envelope. 

"It's an intelligence agency." Pepper answered, not looking up from the drawing. 

"Like S.H.I.E.L.D?" She asked, pulling out the letter and reading it to herself. 

"Yes, they're similar in ways. Why do you ask?" Pepper asked, finally looking up, only to find a confused Wanda. 

Wanda read over the letter once, twice, when the third time came she was still confused. 

"They want me to come in." Wanda said, handing the letter to Pepper. "If this is about Germany, that was years ago. I deserve to be pardoned for that." Wanda pleaded.

"I don't think it's about Germany, Wanda. You should go there, see what they want from you." Pepper explained. 

"Do you think it could be about Natasha?" Wanda murmured. 

"I'm not sure, why?" Pepper asked.

"Well, a few days ago, when you asked me to fill in the Tony monument document, I decided to fill out two more for Natasha and Vision. All three of them deserve to be remembered. Do you think that's why they're calling for me there?" Wanda wondered, now worried about her decision. 

"Maybe. You should go Wanda, you should see what they want from you. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing." 

"I guess so. Who sent the other letter?" Wanda asked, holding up the other envelope.

"I don't know, there's no return address." Pepper explained. 

"Okay, thank you." Wanda said, standing up and walking away from the kitchen. She looked back once more, watching as Pepper and Morgan drew together, Wanda thinking of what she could've had with Natasha.

Wanda put both envelopes in her back pocket and walked outside, standing on the porch, not sure what to do. She wasn't able to form any kind of thoughts, she was confused, nervous and she just wanted everything to go back to normal. 

She suddenly walked off into the woods in front of her, hoping that it would clear her mind somehow. She loved taking walks in the woods, sometimes she would sit and stay there for hours, just listening to nature. 

Wanda kept thinking back to the second envelope, wondering who could've sent it. No one sent her mail, if any of the remaining Avengers wanted to talk to her they could call her or simply come by the house. 

She didn't give it any more thought as she walked back to the cabin, grabbing her keys and going to her car. She placed both envelopes on her passenger's seat and drove off to S.W.O.R.D headquarters, hoping to hear good news. 

All Wanda wanted to do was honour Natasha and the sacrifice she made for the universe. That's all she wanted. She wanted people to remember her and her wonderful memories.