Rule 8 • A Queen Must Have International Relations

"For a moment, I thought you weren't gonna come," Darjani said as she pulled her Bvlgari glasses to the bridge of her nose to stare at the blonde Russian.

She was currently at 'L'Auclaire', a luxurious salon she frequented, located not far from the school. It was where the girls of Van Cortlandt and other private schools came to get some beloved 'girl time', and to gossip about all that was happening, at Van Cortlandt and other schools.

Currently, Darjani sat with Adamata and Benavir Bolkiah, a member of Alburquerque's elite and a descendant of the House of Bolkiah, Brunei's royal family. Darjani greatly favoured Benavir over Tamar, though the latter was observant and cunning, Benavir carried with her an overwhelming opulent presence.

"Now how could I pass up the thought of a spar afternoon?" Miroslava grinned as she was led over to a nearby chair by one of the workers.

Darjani didn't reply and turned to continue her conversation with the Bruneian.

"By the way, that girl, Yvonne or something. How did she snatch Dominic? I mean, she's so ...plain looking. Nothing special, so how did she snatch Dominic and creep into your group?" Benavir asked as she admired her recently finished nails.

"If only I knew." Darjani rolled her eyes as she stared at her reflection in the mirror, dark red extensions being braided into her hair. She played with one duo coloured waist-length braid as she spoke, a scowl on her face. "Dominic is a mystery."

"Alistair doesn't like what he doesn't understand," Benavir said absentmindedly as she bit her lip. "He wants total knowledge of everything in his hold."

"Just like your body?" Adamata chuckled as she looked at the other black-haired girl.

Miroslava laughed while Darjani let out a small smirk. Benavir rolled her eyes at them.

"You guys may laugh at it, but I'm fucking Albuquerque's King, behind his girlfriend's back. It's an accomplishment to trap that kind of person." She winked. "Besides, at least he doesn't share around a striptease of me."

Miroslava glared at her but kept a grin on her face, a bittersweet smile. "Fucking bitch."

Darjani let out a laugh then.

"You know, Darja. I'm beginning to think you actually hate me." Miroslava looked at the dark-skinned girl.

"Oh please, Miro. I'm keeping you in check, I don't hate you. You'd know if I did." Darjani waved a hand at her and continued talking to Benavir.

Not many people understood why exactly Darjani loved Benavir so much and truly, Darjani didn't know either. She just greatly favoured the girl above most others and sometimes wished she had transferred to their school instead, but Darjani didn't mind her information gatherer at Albuquerque. 

"So, anything new happening over at your side?" Darjani asked.

"Well, rumour has it that Yanuel's family is going under. But I don't quite believe it, I mean, his dad's company sales are off the charts and his mother just made another very happy client." 

"People just want to throw him off his standing," Adamata rolled her eyes.

"Peasants just have nothing better to do than to try and usurp our power," Miroslava laughed slyly, "Pitiful, to say the least."

"Just like that Yvonne. Do you guys ever think she's using Dominic to get to you? Maybe she's planning something." Benavir suggested, looking at Darjani.

"Believe me, if she was, then she's not being smart about it. Yvonne has openly displayed her disdain towards me, that's not how you take over someone's crown." Darjani rolled her eyes, "If she tries to get ahead of herself, I'll destroy her. No two ways about that."

"You've slept with her boyfriend already, what else do you have in your arsenal?" Adamata chuckled.

"Many things actually. Yvonne is a child. She can't hide her emotions, and she's too attached to Dominic. She makes it too easy."

"You're just a demon, Darjani," Benavir said.

"You need to be a demon to rule."

"Well said."

"Miroslava?" Darjani turned to the blonde girl, frowning as she held her phone, "Have you heard from Adonis? I haven't seen for a while."

"No," Miroslava brought out her own phone and scanned through it.

"He's obviously fucking someone right about now," Adamata rolled her eyes, not the least bit worried.

"Won't be the first time," the Somali dropped her phone back into her purse, "The least he could do was tell me whom he was getting into."

"Are you jealous?" Benavir leaned towards Darjani, laughing slightly.

"I fucked him, Benavir. For me, fucking a boy is like employing him. He works for me, basically, he can't go and fuck someone else just like that."

"You went ahead and fucked Dominic just like that, though," Adamata stared proudly at her reflection. "What's the difference?"

"It's me. I'm Darjani, queen of Van Doren. Along with my many responsibilities, I have many privileges. That includes being able to do whatever I want without my court questioning me and comparing me to themselves." She shot Adamata a pointed look.

"Sorry, I guess." 

"Yes, be sorry. Also, be relieved I didn't punish you like I did Miroslava. You're growing way too bold, Adamata, and that Nigerian girl, Somadina, has gotten really beautiful this year." Darjani practically seethed, thoroughly fed up with Adamata's antics.

"I'm sorry, okay. It's just that, we got closer and I thought I could joke and play like that with you." Adamata was truly scared now. More than anything, she needed her status and didn't know how she'd walk the halls of Van Doren without it. Not after everything she'd done to so many people.

"Play with me, do not play me. Know the difference, Ramadani, and we could be besties." Darjani gave her a sickly sweet smile.

"Anyways, I have to go now," Miroslava said, standing up as she looked at her phone.

"Where are you going, Miro?" Darajani rolled her eyes, "Don't be like Adonis. I like him more than I do you."

"That definitely hurts."

"I keep you around because you are worthwhile, Miroslava. You are wealthy, beautiful, deadly. I keep you around because you are valuable. Trust me, that's better than me keeping you around because of my feelings, it means you are not easily replaceable. Don't spoil what you have going on. Tell me where you are going."

Miroslava almost smiled, that was the best thing Darjani had ever said to her and she couldn't help the pride that was swelling in her heart. However, she looked at Benavir, then back at Darjani. The latter understood and stood up to follow the Russian to a more secretive place.

"So," Darjani asked, almost impatient, "What is it that you couldn't tell me in Benavir's presence?"

"I've been fucking Yanuel. He's calling me now."

"Oh that's true, Benavir and Yanuel used to date."

"Yeah, and they're still sneaking around. She gets information from Alistair, relays it to Yanuel, who relays it to me. Honestly though, there's too much 'inter-screwing' in Albuquerque's royalty." Miroslava laughed and rolled her eyes.

"True. Keep it up, Miro. I'm actually starting to see why Emiko liked you."

I am so sorry for the late update. I have just been really busy. I hope you guys like this and also, thank you so much for taking an interest in this book.