Chapter 26

Yes, its been over a month since I've updated. I've been dealing with some stuff recently. Sorry :(

MetalHead_ligthouse, your naming of all the asterisks XD
AND gabby478, plus pinkie11703, y'all are amazing :D

Read on brownaynay's :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stepped up onto the pedestal, opening out my piece of scruched up paper.

I felt a slight breeze flutter the hem of my black dress, the cold crawling up my bare legs. But, I could barely feel it, my entire body was too numb and already crawling with goosebumps.

Everyone looked up at me, waiting for me to begin.

So I did.

'Most of you probably aren't aware that Valerie is not my biological child. In fact, you probably never thought about how she suddenly showed up one fine day, 4 years old, because she looked exactly what you would expect my daughter would look like.

But, she was actually a small girl who Christan and I were supposed to drop off at the nearest orphanage, as her parents couldn't see what an amazing daughter they had. However, we couldn't leave her, not after the few hours we had spent falling in love with her.

So Christan and I adopted her, took her home, and she was automatically our daughter. She adjusted to every change with a smile; no one would've guessed she was human if they weren't told.

She bought an immense amount of joy with her, and everyday spent with Valerie was one with no regrets. She was brave, caring, beautiful, strong, smart, little, funny, and the most amazing daughter I could have ever prayed for.

There were days when I would walk in on her and Christan doing things like having water and paint fights. I should have been a bit angry, but with Valerie.. all I could do was join in. She wasn't just an adopted daughter, not to me; not to anyone.' My eyes landed on Christan sitting in the front row, his eyes clear as glass as he listened to what I was saying.

He had wanted me to do it, to say this here and now. I accepted, knowing just how much stronger than me he's been the past 3 weeks. It was my turn to be strong.

'Valerie formed unbreakable relationships and thoughts formed about her through the eyes of many. She was the tiny gamer who beat Luke in every game of Fifa, the cheeky godchild who Kaitlyn wanted to waste all her money on, the smart granddaughter my parents adored.. the young love of a small boy' I cast my eyes upon the boy staring at the floor, his dark hair tousled upon his head.

His black eye was better healed than the first time he ran into the room where Valerie was resting, five days after the terrible incident. Ryder was her first visitor, even after being restricted by his mother to give us space, and came to sit beside Valerie's bed every day since.

Even Christan let Ryder stay in the room wholeheartedly, considering the reason he had a black eye was because he had run after the wolf who had bitten Valerie. He was out for a walk with his mother that night, and caught sight of us rushing Valerie inside the house. He chased after the moonwalker.

Ryder, a boy less than 6 years old, went after a dangerous wolf, knowing the consequences.

He loved Valerie that much.

I paused, feeling my eyes beginning to water as I read the next line off the page.

'Valerie was a world you never wanted to leave. I never thought I would have to say goodbye, not this soon. Nobody did' My voice cracked, tears streaming down my cheeks.