Chapter 2: "I Just Want to Be Pure"

I attempted to drown out the noise of some mad woman yelling from her apartment across the street, eventually hearing a familiar, deeper voice shout, "Hey lady, shut up!"

I reluctantly forced myself out of bed, carefully climbing down to Jim's window as I mustered up my courage. He jumped when he saw me, probably because he was beginning to strip out of his pajamas, which was only boxers and a white tank top.

"Sorry," I apologized, tucking a strand of my dark brown hair behind my ear. "I just wanted to know what you were doing today. It's Saturday, and I don't know anyone here yet."

"You know how you wanted to know if us Manhattan kids had any rituals?"

"Yeah...," I reluctantly trailed off.

"Well, you're about to find out what it is. You might want to wear something waterproof unless you're comfortable being in your underwear in front of the guys."

I blushed deeply as I became even more confused. "W-what?"

"Trust me."

I barely nodded before hurrying back to my place, putting a full body swimsuit on beneath my clothes before braiding my hair into two side dutch braids. I applied a bit of waterproof makeup before meeting Jim in the lobby. After a tiring climb up a rocky cliff we had met up with his three friends already waiting there.

"Yo, Jim, what took you so long," Mickey called.

"I brought over a friend. She's never jumped before," Jim plainly explained.

"She gonna strip for us," his friend smirked, causing my complexion to redden.

"Look the other way. You're going to make her feel uncomfortable," Jim ordered, both of us removing our outer clothes. He was now in only a pair of white boxers, while I had on my black and white polka dotted bathing suit with a slight skirt of ruffles on the bottom. I heard one or two of the boys snort some when they saw my swimwear. I hugged myself before getting settled next to Jim, feeling that he was my safety.

I about died of embarrassment though when the guys mooned a passing boat, my eyes drifting to check out Jim's butt before I could stop myself. He was a lanky yet highly attractive guy.

"Okay, so who's gonna jump first," Jim questioned as we stood near the edge.

"I will," Mickey offered, effortlessly jumping into the vast body of water below.

"That was a good jump," Jim commented with a slight smile.

Even though he convinced Pedro to go next, I really felt for his friend, since they also had never done this. I was shaking like a leaf as my toes inched towards the drop, my body shaking violently as I almost had a panic attack.

"You scared of heights," Jim wondered.

"Kind of, but I'm really scared of hitting my head on a rock and dying."

"You won't hit your head. I promise." He grasped my hand as I nodded a tiny bit, clutching onto him for dear life. "You go on ahead, Neutron. We'll catch up!" He lifted his head a bit before his friend catapulted into the river. His blue eyes looked over at me as he started a countdown. "Okay, on the count of three. One... Two... Jump!"

I freaked out when the last word wasn't three, but we we already flailing into mid air, me no longer holding onto anyone as I was eventually met with the dingy water. I coughed up some of the liquid after resurfacing, following the others as we swam to shore where our bag of clothes were.

"Fuck, I can't believe I hit my head on that rock. My head is killing me," Jim groaned, blood already coating his hairline.

"Oh my goodness! Here, let me help!" I pulled out a white linen handkerchief sporting my initials from my pile of clothes, dabbing at Jim's wound. I already heard his friends snickering as the teasing started up.

"Oooh, Jim, you want my handkerchief?" Mickey was waving his own with a bunch of pale brown stains.

"Shut up," Jim stated, allowing me to take care of him as I shot a glare in Mickey's direction.

"We'll have to get some alcohol or peroxide on it. I should have some at home," I spoke.

"There's no time. Jim and I have somewhere to be," Neutron interrupted.

"Where are you going?" I didn't think twice about how it probably wasn't my business.

"It's a surprise," Neutron kindly claimed, my head spinning with curiosity.

"Could I come?"

He almost snorted as he tucked his hands into his jean pockets, politely responding, "Not unless you're into threesomes."

I furrowed my eyebrows together in puzzlement as Jim realized how clueless I was.

"She's innocent, guys, back off."

"She won't be innocent for long if she stays around here," Mickey pointed out, smoking a fresh cigarette.

"What is a threesome," I whispered to Jim, his friends erupting into laughter as they rushed ahead.

"Uh..." I had never seen a boy with such rosy cheeks as he struggled to answer. "It's... You know, when three people do it together."

"Do what," I questioned, feeling stupid I wasn't catching on.

"You know, have sex," he hissed under his breath.

"Oh." Now I was the one burning into a pile of flames. "I don't know why I didn't know that. I swear, I'm innocent, but usually I'm not that dense."

"It's okay, Zoe. It's kind of refreshing to meet someone who doesn't know what that is," he emphasized, draping his arm over my shoulders as we strolled along.

"I guess I'm just not cut out for living here." A sigh escaped my lips as Jim tightened his hold on me in a comforting squeeze.

"You'll get the hang of it, but to be honest, it would be better if you didn't. You're too pure for this city." He then completely froze as his gaze zoned in on an invisible thought.

"What is it," I slowly asked.

"Nothing," he claimed, shaking his head as we kept walking. I thought I faintly heard him murmur under his breath though, "I just want to be pure."

A/N: Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Like I said before sorry if everything's totally out of order compared to the movie. Please remember to comment, vote, and follow. Thank you so much! <3