Chapter 2: Untold Shanty

The DBs fly around quickly, shuffling from everyone's hands just like they did their cards moments earlier. The only thing filling up louder than their gullets is the laughter and crackles their mouths make. 

No matter how much my mind begs, a bit of willpower keeps my half-cup empty. Cliff's willpower isn't as strong as he goes for his second can. Even though DBs won't get you drunk, they will make you wheezy after a few. Most of them start showing off the effects quickly.

The constant insult jokes towards everyone come faster than the DBs would sink into Hardcase's chest. Each person stabs their teammates in the back. The more they do the funnier they get. I even throw in a couple myself if only for the same reason as before. 

I didn't think the room can fit all the laughter, along with the sounds of the clanking of cups, cans, and bottles. Joltxs, who's already half done in the head, somehow gets everyone's attention by climbing to the top of the large cafeteria table and speaks

"Hey, everyone, let's do the untold sea shanty," Everyone frantically nods their heads as their legs rattle like tails in anticipation as he pours the lyrics into his can as if it is a microphone.

"Ohhhhhhh. There was once a mighty captain who sailed across the seas. He battled countless monsters and brought them to their knees. He bled in the sweat and then bathed in the gold. Oh, how the story unfolds. Oh, how the story unfolds."

Their eyes all then flock to me. Even knowing that everyone always wants to hear it sing whenever we drink, the battle-axe they want to come out and play rests back command post. To think I've only had half a cup, but it feels like I have drunk an entire liter.

I try to explain that to them, however, all their pupils start shifting from a view toward my shadow while their mouths begin struggling to hold in something fierce. I don't put two and two together before I feel the legs of a spider, patting themselves on the surface of my hair. 

My heart shoots itself back, bringing the chair to the floor which just makes their howls come out even louder. Even Buzzard who hasn't partaken in a single drop laughs just as loud from his tablet. Only then, do I see not a spider, but the fingers of Ethan. He must have left during the convention of insults. My brain is ashamed that I haven't noticed till now.

"We got you good, didn't we," Hardcase blurts out while nudging Heavy and Joltxs in the shoulders. "There's that smile you always give. I just wish we could get it to come out more as your little wielder can." 

"I will admit you had me. However, you better watch yourself, next time pal." He slams a DB into his windpipe and laughs even louder. 

"Hopefully that little fun helped lift your spirit," Silverback says, gently patting my backside. "Plus, how else are we going to do any sea shanty without this." He then tosses me my battle axe which almost slips through my still sweaty hands.

Silverback or Ethan is someone admittedly, I don't know much about compared to the other Ragtags. However, every time I see his movements, posture, and aura, It's something, unlike the rest of them. Broad and stiff but somehow concealing elegance and potency. It has a lingering past to it, a past all too familiar. 

It's no different for him walking back to his seat with a cheeky smile. My eyes can't fathom why they're the only ones that can see, while everyone's eyes wait pleasantly like flowers waiting for the wind to carry their pollen for the battle ax to sing.

Not wanting to keep them waiting, my fingers start to do their magic. I pull each string like rubbing lotion onto the skin. I treat it with care, and it does the rest. The guys aren't disappointed as Heavy starts knocking on the table and Cliff to the nearest tile. All to make a melody that has Joltxs surging more than he already is.