Chapter 25: Susan B. Folium

Both doors open synchronizing. I to Lisa's door and a woman to the front door. I watch the female enter dawning an oversized black coat and a hat covering most of her face. Lincoln, Luana, and Loran greet the woman with hugs. The twins are the cutest yelling out their mother's name as they both hug her waist. 

The only one who doesn't go for a hug is Lavender. However, their mother has that covered. I haven't seen Lavender's face that red yet. My eyes watch them all like aliens behind glass even though she's interacting with them as any mother would with her children, after not seeing them for who knows how long. 

The fact that it's Lincoln and Lana's mom interacting with them makes it even more memorable. I remember my Lana telling me stories about her before The Great Terror. Now seeing her whisper something into this Lana's ear making her smile, is all the reinsurance that I need.

"Look who made it out of the doctor's lab in one piece," Luna's voice echoes from behind me. She leans against the wall chewing fruity gum. I can tell it is fruity by the way her breath tickles at my nose. Once I see her, she pops a bubble and smiles with a flirtatious grin.

"How long have you been there?" I ask, quietly.

"Long enough for you to be a creepo," alluding to the minutes on end I've been watching her mother. However, two can play that game.

"Well, if I'm a creepo, Luna. You must join the club, watching from behind no less."

"Two shay," she says blowing out another bubble, still leaving that flirtatious grin tied around her face. Only this time I decide to inch my way closer to her upon the wall. Before another word could be said, Lisa's footsteps finally start coming out of her room.

Luna begins chuckling to herself like she has said the funniest joke all inside her head. Only once Lisa is directly beside me, she finally lets out what's been on her mind.

"Well, well, look who finally decides to come out of her bomb shelter. Not going to let a specimen like Joseph get away so easily huh?"

As I expected Lisa's expression doesn't change. Her eyes don't even bat her a single lash in annoyance. Everything remains bleak along with that stupid grin.

"Well Luna, even geniuses like myself must come out every now and then. Especially since I'm in the process of studying feces samples. Speaking of that, your feces samples from the last few days have been awfully greener and bigger than usual. I would recommend lying off the juices and-

"Woah dude," Luna shouts but pauses to level her voice. "I appreciate your advice, but do we need to talk about this in front of our guest?"

They both then turn to me, who remains a statue with a hint of red carved into the cheeks. Luna's are worse. The grin she had is replaced with a gaping mouth, while her head might as well be a cherry on a cherry tree. 

As expressive as Luna's face becomes, and even combining the secondhand embarrassment my face produces, Lisa's remains like a machine, the whole way through.

"Hmm, I figured your health would be of the most importance." She turns her eyes bleakly back to me. "However, we can continue this discussion another time."

Luna has no words, and her eyes couldn't even look into mine without sinking. Her body slowly drags itself down the stairs while her hands slowly rub against her shoulder. After she leaves from view, Lisa then turns and smiles at me. Not a klink smile, but a smile that one gives when one wins. In a way, I guess she did.

As I slowly walk down the stairs, I watch their mother greet Luna with a hug with me and Lisa trailing behind. At this point, the only ones left in the living room are Loran who sits alongside her mother, and Lavender who idly broods in a corner.