12.

"Christmas"

THE HOLIDAY SEASON had come around far too quickly for Janice, this year she had decided to remain at Hogwarts. She couldn't face going home to see her father's empty chair. The rest of her friends insisted on keeping her company at the castle, no matter how many times she assured them that they could see their families. 

"All for one and one for all, J," Sirius had said. 

And so here they were, Christmas morning 1975, in the gryffindor common room. They took turns opening the presents they had gifted each other this year. Remus had nipped down to the kitchens early on that morning to get hot chocolate for the lot of them, they sipped their beverages from under their blankets.  

"This one's for Janice!" James called out. It was his stupid idea to get up at 7 o'clock and he was proving to be the only one of them with any energy. Janice plastered a smile on her face to please him and took the box from his hands. 

"To my darling Janice Price, love from your secret admirer," she read aloud and turned to face the girl, "Thanks, Marls."

She groaned, "How did you know it was me?"

Jan chuckled as she shook her head and began tearing the crimson paper. Inside was a beautiful pair of silver earrings and several pieces of parchment. She thanked her friend for the earrings and questioned her about the paper. 

Marlene grinned, "I dug them out."

"Oh Merlin," Janice sighed. She took one look at the title and flipped them over, she was red as the baubles on the tree. 

Marlene shrieked with laughter and the rest of the friends shared confused looks. This one was going to remain a secret. 

"Right who's next?"

"There's some here for Remus."

Jan recognised the wrapping paper instantly, "They're from me."

Remus looked down at her and smiled as he held the gifts in his lap. She hoped desperately that he liked them; it took her bloody ages. 

Of course he appreciated the chocolate, that was a given. He ran his fingers along the book and smiled. His mind was cast back to that encounter with Janice in the library. He opened up Astronomy for Dummies and skimmed through the pages - they were filled with Jan's own annotations, criticisms and sarky comments. She glanced at him nervously, she was hoping that he didn't find it weird. 

"I love it, J," he laughed, "I can't wait to read it." The tall boy stood up from his spot on the sofa and walked over to Janice, she smiled up at him apprehensively. He took a seat on the floor beside her, perching on a pillow from one of the dorms, and pulled her into a side hug. Jan laughed and felt her face heat up. 

"I believe it's my turn now," Remus leant forward and grabbed three beautifully wrapped presents. 

Janice picked up the first gift and felt it, it was soft and cushy, "Did you wrap these, Rem?"

He glanced up at his friend, "No, I got Sirius to do them. He's good, isn't he?" He turned his attention back to the girl beside him. 

Sirius flashed Jan a grin and she nodded in agreement. She carefully unwrapped the pristine paper and pulled out a cream knitted jumper with a green J on the front. 

"My mum made it, she wanted me to give it to you," Remus scratched the back of his neck.

"It's lovely," Jan beamed as she pulled the jumper over her head, "Fits me perfectly."