06.

"The Quidditch Pitch"

TODAY WAS THE first gryffindor game this year and it was against slytherin. The stakes were high and those dirty snakes were known to play nasty. Janice and James could not keep their mouths shut.

"This is going to be the greatest game of our lives, guys. Isn't that right, J"

Janice looked up from her full english breakfast and violently nodded her head, the cumberland sausages struggling to remain behind her lips.

The group of friends travelled to the quidditch pitch together, adrenaline high. Remus took this opportunity to speak to Janice. He took a hold of her hand and gently pulled her slightly toward him; She snapped her head in his direction and smiled up at him. 

"Good luck, Jan. I know you don't need it but-"

Her grin grew wider, "Thanks, Rem". She playfully pushed her elbow into his arm and smirked. 

"What?"

She shook her head, still smiling "Nothing".

Gryffindor quidditch team huddled together and listened to their captain attempt to motivate them; This match meant a lot to them. 

Once the team dispersed, James took Janice's face in his hands and pressed their foreheads together - a tradition they had kept since second year. 

"We've got this, Jan."

"Course we have."

He patted her on the back and left to get his broom.

The game was in full swing. Chants and songs hummed from the crowd for the respective teams. Gryffindor was in the lead by ten points and tensions were higher than ever. Janice gripped her broom tightly and soared through the sky, James gave her the nod and her arm flew in the air. Without stopping, Jan grabbed the quaffle, dragged her arm down and hugged it to her chest as if it were her own baby. It was now her responsibility to toss the ball into one of the hoops successfully. Slytherin's keeper shot Jan the dirtiest look she had ever recieved and made her stomach flip. In one swift movement, Janice sent the quaffle flying and in that moment her concentration was entirely on that bloody ball. So much so that she didn't hear Emmeline's panicked screams or the increased volume of the crowd. And Bam!

Janice seemed to fall in slow motion, her limbs flailing about and a blood curdling scream escaping her lips. She could only imagine the faces of her beloved friends. Emmeline still screaming out her name. James breathing heavy and racing down to the ground, shouting something about stopping the game. Lily with her hand clamped over her mouth and eyes squeezed shut. Peter with his arm on Lily's shoulder and his head turned away in cringe. Sirius stood up in the stands, staring in awe. Marlene and Remus sprinting at top speed towards the pitch.

Janice hit the ground with a bone crunching thud, "Oooooh! Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow."

She writhed around in pain and threw her head back. 

"Oh my god, Janice", Emmeline panted. 

"Did it go in?"

James and Em shot each other confused looks, "What?"

"The quaffle", Jan muttered - her eyes still squeezed shut and her body moving around, "Did it go in?"

James nodded, then realised that she had her eyes closed, "Yeah. Yeah, it did."

Remus and Marlene appeared at the scene of the crime, Sirius following soon after. 

"Oh my goodness! Jan, here, squeeze my hand if you need to", Remus said as he bent down to reach her. She grabbed one of his hands with both of hers and squeezed as she groaned in pain. 

"Bloody hell, J. That was quite a fall", Marlene joked but Janice could tell that she was covering up how scared she actually was.

After what felt like a million years, Madame Pomfrey turned up to aid Janice back to the hospital wing. She could hear bickering but couldn't make out any words. 

"Right, I'll go with her and make sure she's alright."

"No, Sirius it's fine. I wasn't really interested in the game anyway."

"Moony, chillax."

"No. I want to go."

Before Remus could argue back, Sirius jogged to keep up with Madam Pomfrey and help her wheel Jan into the school.

Sirius sat with Janice whilst she convulsed in her hospital bed, "It'll be alright, J. Trust me", he whispered every few minutes. She just let out a shaky breath and smiled slightly in response each time. 

Madam Pomfrey began to move into the room and spoke as she did so, "You're a very lucky girl, you know, Miss Price.", she continued on, "Though if you were a couple of stone lighter your broom wouldn't have toppled over."

Janice's face dropped and she turned away from Sirius. Madam Pomfrey wrapped up her leg and gave her a pain killing potion. It wouldn't be an easy wouNd to treat and she would have to use crutches for a few days but it could have been worse.

"You know that Poppy didn't mean anything bad before, don't you, J?"

Janice simply shrugged and hung her head.

"It wasn't your fault that you fell, it was that stupid slytherin's."

"I guess. But you heard her, if i wasn't so blooming fat then i wouldn't be stuck in the hospital wing."

"That's not true, Jan."

She turned her head and gazed out of the window, there was no use arguing with Sirius. 

"Come here."

Janice turned back around and Sirius enveloped her in a hug; she closed her eyes and let out a deep, shaky breath. 

"Please don't tell anybody about this please, Pad."

"Wouldn't dream of it."

They broke apart and smiled at each other.

It was then that Janice noticed him standing there. 

"I came to see how Jan was but I guess you two are fine on your own."

"Remus.", he pivoted round and left abruptly, "Come back!"

But he was gone.