𝐈𝐈𝐈 - 𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐃𝐄𝐍𝐄𝐃

Despite the intrusion at work the rest of the day is moderately productive. Brimming with uncertainty as she exits the building and travels to her car, constantly looking over her shoulder and scrutinising her surroundings.

Nothing is out of place; no one appears suspicious. A frown crosses her face. She climbs into the drivers seat, keeping the volume of the radio low as she pulls away from her place of work.

To say that Kaden's words frightened her into a state of almost complete immobility would be an understatement. From the moment he left she found it near impossible to focus on writing her next article.

Coming face to face with both the infamous killer of New York City and his highly overprotective, equally intimidating brother was not on the agenda. All she can do for now is hope that nothing else happens. Her heart can only endure so much anxiety and stress.

Finally arriving in the comfort of her home, not a second is wasted between closing the door and slipping off her heels, abandoning her bag on the side table by the staircase.

While checking the watch strapped around her wrist, she ascends the steps to her bedroom to change into a more comfortable outfit consisting of sweatpants and a cropped vest. A cardigan is retrieved on the way past her desk from the back of the chair.

Feeling more relaxed ーas relaxed as she can beー she picks up her MacBook and brings it downstairs with her. The bottle of red wine she purchased a few weeks ago is placed on the coffee table beside a glass, landing in her usual spot on the light grey sofa.

Just as she opens the laptop her attention is drawn to the three thumps on the door.

Unhappy with rising to her feet again after making herself comfortable, she places the laptop beside the untouched wine and wanders to the door, freezing on the spot after opening it.

The hint of a friendly smile evaporates when she learns it's Kaden on her doorstep. A muscled arm raised to lean against the doorframe while he waited.

"Don't look so frightened. I'm not here to threaten you this time."

"Then why are you here?" She spares a glance over his shoulder at the path slithering from her doorway. If a passerby were to catch her eye she could signal for help. It wouldn't work. Not with him. It would only put their life in danger too.

"I had a talk with some of my guys." He explains, inviting himself over the threshold.
Briefly pausing to the right of her to survey her attire. She shrinks under his burning gaze. Suddenly feeling exposed in her own home and wrapping the cardigan around her torso to hide herself.

"They don't trust you." He concludes.

"I haven't done anything." She argues, nudging the door shut. "You held me at gunpoint in my office, you threatened to kill me. I'm not going to risk my life after that."

He seems disinterested by her protests. Instead drumming his fingers along the banister lining the staircase and casually looking around her home.

"I said I wanted to keep you."

"Keep me?" Her tone wavers.