-13-

'Tell me why I still have your stupid email when we're done with the project?' Heather typed to Alejandro as she sat in bed at midnight. She was trying to complete her homework but felt the need to do this instead.

She wasn't expecting anything back from him, but he did reply. 'I do not know, señorita. However, I am more intrigued as to why you emailed me in the middle of the night😏'

'Don't flatter yourself. I was doing homework and got bored.'

'You might as well send me that phone number of yours😘'

'Not a chance :)' Heather thought about it for a moment. Why? She didn't know. She couldn't stand that guy. Or at least that's what she kept telling herself. She sighed and typed in her phone number, hesitating before she hit 'send.'

Within the next minute, she got a text.

A: 'Hola hermosa💕'

H: 'Don't make me block you already.'

A: 'I cannot believe you allowed me to have your number. Now I can send you cute little gato videos. I know you love them😻'

H: 'How do you even know I like cats?'

A: 'I remember your notebook, chica.'

H: 'Ugh'

A: 'I could hear that scoff coming from your pretty mouth.'

H: 'I can't stand you.'

A: '🙄'

H: 'Haha, you can't accept that a girl doesn't like u.'

A: 'Oh, but it is you who has not accepted that you like me. Why did you give me your phone number? 🤔'

H: 'I was BORED. I'm going to block your number after this!'

A: 'K'

Heather's eye twitched. Not that stupid one letter reply again!! 'Stop acting like you don't care!' She texted back angrily.

She waited a few minutes just to be left on read. "UGH!" She threw her phone down on her bed, crossing her arms.

Courtney woke up, blinking her eyes open. She gave Heather a cranky look. "Is there a reason you're yelling in the middle of the night?"

"I... it's nothing," she muttered, picking her phone back up.

Courtney sighed. "Did something happen with your dad?" She asked gently.

"What? No! As if I care about that. I'm way over that!"

"You know you can always talk to me, right?"

"Yes, I know. Nothing important is going on, I swear."

She pursed her lips, not fully believing her. "Then could you please keep it down? I have early morning classes."

"Got it," she nodded.

"Good." Courtney pulled the covers back over herself and got comfortable. She shut her eyes, but the light from Heather's phone made it difficult to keep them that way. She squinted and noticed her friend texting someone. She looked very attentive. She couldn't remember the last time she saw Heather this invested in something like this. She has early classes too. What is she doing staying up this late? "Who are you texting?"