-22-

"Fuck! What the fuck?!"

Courtney raised a concerned eyebrow when she heard Heather in the bathroom one morning. She knocked on the door. "Babe, what's wrong?"

"I... it's nothing," Heather swallowed hard. Her period was now two weeks overdue. She had searched up what that meant on her phone, knowing well what the answer would be. She was just hoping it was something else. Anything else.

"It doesn't sound like it's nothing," Courtney sounded annoyed.

"I was reading a book online, and my favorite couple broke up." Even she was surprised at how easy she had made up that lie.

"Really?" She laughed.

"Don't make fun of me!"

"I'm not, Heath. I'm laughing because I totally get it. I hate it when the author splits the power couple up."

"Yeah, definitely!" She smiled nervously, pulling up her pants. Fuck, this better not be what I think it is. She washed her hands and came out. "I'm gonna go to the drugstore for some pain reliever. Need anything?"

"No, thanks!" Courtney smiled as she wrote in her journal. Heather glanced at it and noticed the remnants of all the papers that were torn out on the spiral center. She figured that must've been all her ridiculous lists for Duncan. She should've put 'do not cheat' on there because apparently, he needs it.

"Ok, I'll be back in a few."

Heather didn't realize just how big of a deal this was until she was holding the two pregnancy tests in her hands after taking them. She looked away from it, more than nervous to see the results. If it's positive, I have no idea what the fuck I'm going to do. This is so insane. Now that I think about it, I've had almost every symptom over the past month. I can't even do ballet anymore without feeling nauseated!

After what felt like an eternity, the tests were done. She looked at them both. Panic hit her like a freight train. Her eyes immediately watered. Oh my god, I'm actually...no. No, this can't be happening. She got up and started pacing back and forth in the bathroom. She checked them at least three more times, just to make sure. Yep, still positive.

She started hyperventilating, so in shock that she couldn't even cry. However, it felt like she was holding in a whole ocean of tears. How did this even happen?! We used a condom every time! Unless it broke! That's the only explanation I can think of!! Oh my god...OH MY GOD, what do I tell Courtney?! When do I tell her?! And do I tell her it's him?!

Heather got into the bathtub and sat down in the center, pulling at her hair. This was not supposed to happen. This was NOT supposed to happen!! I cannot be a mom. I can't. I don't even like babies. Having a kid is the very last thing I want out of life.

"Heather, are you ok in there?" Courtney brought her out of her thoughts.

"I-I'm...not feeling well," her voice cracked by accident.

"That's it. I'm coming in." The door handle turned. Heather's eyes went wide. She reached across the tub to the edge of the counter and quickly grabbed the tests, hiding them under her legs.

"H, what is wrong with you?" Courtney looked her up and down. She turned her head away as tears streamed down her cheeks. Her friend placed a hand on her shoulder. "Heather-"

"I'm fine!" She jerked her shoulder away. "F-fine."

"No, you're not. I know you're crying. You can't hide that from me."

"I'm just...really upset about that couple," Heather sniffled.

"God, stop acting like I'm stupid all the time!" She suddenly snapped. "I am your best friend, Heather. I hate being lied to! And something tells me you've been lying to me for a very long time."