1: A Twist of Fate

"Sawadee Krub. My name is Te—"

"Yeah, yeah. I don't have time to waste around on useless trivia. I assume you got the details regarding this job and what you need to do?" 

The stocky man in standard black and white suit enquires dismissively. The middle-aged man with frame-less spectacles is clearly a beta and the manager for this swanky hotel or at least is responsible for the party about to be held in few minutes. Still, he seemed more interested in studying the pretty omega from all angles rather than on the young man's qualifications.

Mew bows his head respectfully and answers with a polite smile. "Yes, Krub. I was told I need to replace a waiter on a short notice from the temp agency. I have a few years of experience working in this role, although never in such a big establishment as this."

The omega figures it is better to keep his replies short and to the point to avoid getting caught in his lies. He smiles in relief, thanking the gods for helping him out when the manager doesn't bat an eye and merely shoos him away after getting to the point.

"Okay, okay. Meet with Din in the kitchens, he's the short, blond omega in charge and inform him that you are the temporary replacement hire. Tell him I said, you're to be put on deck duty and NOT to handle food. Understood? Now leave and hurry."

Mew waied again, muttering 'thank you' before leaving in the direction pointed out to him. He had no idea what deck duty meant or why he was not allowed to handle food. But he figured it will be explained to him by this Din person. Probably.

<*>

The thing is Mew considers himself incredibly lucky for landing this last minute job at a seven star hotel right when he's about to go totally broke. So, the omega is not going to mess it up for anything. If he doesn't understand something, he plans to either ask or imitate by observing others. Mew sighs, adjusting his buttoned white shirt and making sure it remained tucked inside his black pants. Thank god, he had this pair of clothes ironed and ready to don when the kind stranger offered their work to him.

He is not normally like this. Mew's usually extremely careful and planned his meager salary, so the savings would last till the next paycheck arrives. Unfortunately, bad luck decided to grace him this week. The art commission he did for the last client absconded without payment using Mew's soft nature to con him. A few extra unavoidable bills and loaning some amount to a friend in dire need meant the brunet omega now had no money left to last the week. Just seven more days until his regular shift at the 'Sun & Sunflower' café earns him wages of his hard work. Except, he needs to eat in the meantime, which is only possible by having money in hand!

Mew is desperate for a job after searching for two days straight with no results. Kaownah, his boss at the café, a kind alpha already helps him out so much by giving free food whenever Mew has financial troubles that he didn't want to trouble the curly haired brunet even more by asking for a loan or advance pay. His boss is understanding of Mew's position and is also considered as one of his few friends. The café isn't doing well in the first place either. Hence, the omega refused to be a further burden on the sociable alpha's generosity. He is lucky that a bighearted beta named Team overheard his loud ranting in the bus stop and offered his part-time role instead, saying Mew needs it more than him.

Apparently the pay for few short hours is high enough that Mew's piggybank will be back to its former glory after the necessary bills are paid, and he is unbelievably grateful for that!

<*>

Turns out deck duty is simply being on call inside the ball room (or whatever it is called) attending to the rich crowd, refilling their drinks and carrying back the empty trays.