Day 6: Bedtime Stories

Prompt: animals

Dragons are animals, right? ;)

"Our father used to tell us stories about the dragons, that they were mystical creatures that belong to both worlds and ferried between them." ~

"There we go.. snug as a bug."  Ray tucked Nya in under her covers and tapped her nose with his finger.  He gave a wide smile when she laughed gleefully.  He stood up to leave, but a small voice stopped him.

"Tell us a story, dad!'

"Now, what story could you possibly want to hear?"  Ray wondered aloud.

"DRAGONS!" two voices shouted at once.

"Okay, okay.  Not so loud.  You're supposed to be getting sleepy, remember?"

Kai and Nya both nodded in agreement, trying their hardest to sit still.

"Alright, let's see.." Ray pondered a moment before continuing, "dragons are magical creatures that come from beyond Ninjago, and they can travel between the worlds."  He had explained all of this to his children dozens of times, yet every night, it was dragons they wanted to hear about once again.  "The only way anyone knows of to gain passage to and from the Underworld is on the back of a dragon.  But you two know well enough by now, dragons aren't all scary.  They're fierce creatures, but can become a valuable ally to the true of heart..."  Ray trailed off.  Receiving no protests, he thought for a moment that both children had fallen asleep, but he noticed Kai's eyes were still open.

"You know, I used to be able to summon a dragon"  Ray said softly to his son.

"Wow!"  Kai's eyes went wide.  "Can you do it now?!"

Ray chuckled at his son's amazement. "I wish, but.. I haven't been able to for a while.  But maybe someday one of you two will be able to summon it yourselves."

"WOW!"  Kai yelled, barely able to contain his excitement at the thought of having his very own dragon.  "How do I do it? I wanna see!"

Ray motioned with his hands for Kai to speak quieter.  "Inside voices.  Your sister is already asleep.  If you are capable of calling the dragon, it will take many years of practice before it'll be possible."

"But I wanna do it now!" 

 "You have a remarkable spark, son.  I can already see that it will carry you far" Ray smiled down at Kai.  "But remember, no matter how much fire you have, experience isn't something you learn overnight."

"I know, dad"  Kai yawned.  He struggled to keep his eyes open, but was slowly losing the battle.

Ray adjusted the covers over his children and stepped back, leaning against the door frame. He stood for a moment, listening to their gentle breathing to make sure neither was secretly awake, a stunt they had pulled more than once in recent weeks.  "Goodnight, you two.  I love you both so much." Ray said quietly, gently closing the door to their room behind him.

~ A shorter one this time, mainly because I didn't really know where I was going with this.   Just a random cute family moment, I guess.  I suppose you don't live in a household with both parents as elemental masters and not expect your kids to ask about fantastic things like dragons lol

I hope dragons qualify as an animal to fit in with the prompt for the day, I just had the idea of showing Kai and Nya actually hearing a little about dragons like they mentioned in the pilot episodes and ran with it.

I almost made it a much sadder version, but decided to keep it as a happy one shot without any big story implications.