Day 15: Nindroid Chefs

prompt: baking

Pixal has a physical body again so whenever you want after season 9 (because there's no space for anything to have happened after she rejoined the ninja in 8) ~

Pixal scoffed and put down the fork.  "It's no use.  I cannot perform tasks which require a certain sense which I have been unable to cultivate.  By my observation some things require an intangible feeling to accomplish.  My emotions are practically nonfunctional."

"That is not so"  Zane comforted her.  "How are you feeling right now?"

"As I said, I feel nothing."

"Don't think, simply respond with the first thought you have" he encouraged her to try again.

"Angry," Pixal replied instantly, "frustrated that you've presented me with an activity I do not excel at."

"That is proof you do have feelings"  Zane placed his hand on her back.  "A Nindroid without any humanity would have been unable to answer."

Pixal smiled at him, then looked down and frowned.  "That only means I get to feel bad that I'm no good at this."

"You are quite good at this.  You cannot compare yourself to me because I'm exceptionally good at all forms of cooking"  Zane praised himself with a smirk.

"Exactly.  How is it that you learned something so complicated?  Baking should be easy for me; it already comes broken down into steps with precise measurements.  It should be simple for a Nindroid, yet I cannot match your skill."

"I'm not sure where I first learned the skill,"  Zane admitted, "but you are correct.  There is a feeling which I find difficult to quantify.  I believe it can best be described with the phrase 'go with it'.  Attempt to feel the actions and envision what you want the result to be."

Pixal nodded.  "I am ready to try again."

Zane smiled warmly at her.  "Don't tell the others - especially Cole - but I think you are already a better baker than all of them.  In time, I am confident you will match my skill."

Setting out the ingredients for another cake, Pixal sidled up to Zane.  That was another human quality she had gained at some point, she realized.  Even though there was no logistical benefit to physical closeness with Zane, Pixal found that she desired it all the same.  It made her feel.. warm, on the inside.  Not that her circuits were overheating.

Picking up on her subtle move closer to him, Zane leaned towards her in response.  There was a soft clinking noise as their metallic heads bumped together.

~ I always wondered if Pixal could be as good a chef as Zane.  And I feel like my work has been lacking some of dat sweet sweet Pixane content so far, though I'm not an expert at writing that ship (or any ship) by any means.

Imagine how happy Cole will be when he finds out they've made a whole host of "test" cakes that he's free to eat.