Chapter 6

Today the Dragon Rider's made the announcement that eggs will be hatching soon, and first years who were interested in becoming a Dragon Rider will be able to see if a dragon claims them. Every year only a few get claimed by a dragon, and those that are, spend their first as the dragon grows to learn how to ride and care for their dragons. They're assigned an upper classman to be their mentor, assigned to them by the Team Captain himself. However, in order for a first year to qualify before ever stepping in front of a dragon, they must be able to pass the written test. The written test was to see how much they knew, because it was too dangerous to let someone who knew nothing to stand before a dragon, even if it was a hatchling. 

Ash went into the library, wondering why the hell he was even carrying the practice test with him to give to her. He found her sitting at the table, working on her homework. "You want to ride a dragon," he asked her. She looked up, "That'd be awesome." He held out the practice test, "The eggs are going to be hatching soon and that's when we let first years see if a hatchling, or maybe one of the unclaimed adults, claim them. If that happens, you spend your first year learning how to fly and care for your dragon. Then after graduation, if you're able to, you're allowed to keep your dragon. First though, you have to pass the written test. This is the practice test." 

She took it and looked it over, "This is awesome Ash. Thanks." They both kind of blinked at one another. What was happening to us, she wondered. She needed to stop spending so much time with him before she thinks he actually has some humanity. She then looked at the form again, "I didn't think you were capable of doing anything nice." He scoffed as he rolled his eyes, "Consider it that favor I fucking owe you paid in full." She waved a hand, "Fine." 

After their practice, Cecil had a swelling cheek due to Layla landing a kick to his face. "Did you have to kick so hard," he groaned. "You were supposed to dodge remember? That's what we were working on since your dodging skills suck ass." I summoned Celica, my healing spirit. She had long golden hair, blue skin, and she wore long white robes. 

"Can you please heal him," Layla asked her. She nodded and Cecil moved his hand away. He sighed softly as the pain went away. "Thank you," Cecil said to her. Celica nodded before disappearing. "Celica doesn't have the ability to speak," Layla said to him. "But she says your welcome." "Why can't she speak," Maxis asked her. "Her previous summoner, removed her tongue as a punishment for speaking out of turn," Layla answered. "Of course I know this because she had written it down. Luckily the bastard is no longer alive or I would be paying him a personal visit." 

"I didn't think people could permanently hurt spirits," Terro said and Layla nodded. "It's doable," she said. "If the injury is severe enough without proper medical attention." 

They nodded in understanding. "I think that's enough for one day. I've got to study for Mr. Laker's Calculations class," Terro said while stretching. "I'm gonna go give Hellucio a bath to help with his shedding scales," Ash said. "Come on Layla." 

"Why Layla," Cecil asked. Layla smiled eagerly, "Because I'm gonna see if a dragon will claim me when it's time." She then pointed at Ash with her thumb, "Shit head here thinks I'm gonna go run screaming like a little girl." "I don't think she's cut out for the Dragon Riders," Ash said. Maxis and Terro glared at Ash. "If Hellucio hurts her," Maxis warned. Ash waved a hand, "If she manages to get hurt while in his presence then she's not cut out for Dragon Riding." "That's what you're hoping for isn't it? Can't stand the idea of taking your record," Terro said. 

"Guys I'll be fine," Layla said. "I've gone head to head with dragons before. I got this." 

The others didn't believe her and shot Ash warning glares that he brushed off. Layla and Ash walked away from them. "And here I thought you didn't want them to know," she said once they were far enough away. "They don't know it was me who got you the practice test," he said with a shrug. He then smirked, "Plus I get to choose who mentors whom. I'm looking forward to giving you hell as your mentor if you make it." She got him a glare as he chuckled to himself. Bastard, she thought. 

They got to the stables and no other riders were there. He lead her over to Hellucio's compartment. He raised his head when he saw them. He eyed Layla with a head tilt. "This is my dragon, Hellucio. Hellucio, this is the bitch face I told you about. You're more than welcome to eat her," Ash said as they entered. Layla wasn't expecting Ash's dragon to look so menacing. He was far scarier than some of the wild dragons she had seen on her journey. He lowered his head down to sniff her. Ash watched closely out of the corner of his eye as he grabbed what he needed in case Hellucio really did try something. His jaw dropped as Hellucio pressed his snout against her, asking to be pet. Layla smiled and pet him, the tip of his tail wagging eagerly. 

"What the fuck you over grown lizard," Ace asked wide eyed. Layla laughed, "Jealous hot head?" He glared and rolled his eyes. "Since he likes you so much, you get to help." Layla was more than eager. 

Maribell then appeared. "So this is what the beasties look like when not tryin' to kill us." Hellucio sniffed her from where she perched on the door to the compartment that only went waist high. Her clawed feet dug lightly into it. "If one of these claims you will you let me fly with you Mistress?" "We'll see Maribell," Layla said. 

"Why do they call you Mistress," Ash asked her. "Because we have too," Maribell said. "Mistress doesn't want us too, but it's part of what binds us as summonings. It's a reminder of who is our owner. Mistress Layla is the best summoner we've ever had. She doesn't lock our charms unless it's to keep us safe, she also cares if anything happens to us, and she treats us like family." 

"That's because you guys are family," Layla said to her with a smile. "Wait, the charms can be locked and unlocked," Ash asked confused. Maribel nodded, "Most keep us locked because they see us as tools." "Does you leaving on your own use her magic," Ash asked her. "Nope. It uses mine," Maribell explained. "If we summon ourselves, how long we can stay varies on how much magic we each possess. Most like knowing their door is opened and able to come forth if needed, but they never leave because they want to ensure we're at full strength for when she needs us." 

"So what do you tend to do besides threaten everyone," Ash asked remembering his first encounter with the valkeri. "I'm her blade," Maribell said proudly. "I protect Mistress and her honor. She saved me, and I will gladly lay my life on the line for her, even if it results in my charm being shattered." 

"What happens if a charm shatters," Ash asked Layla. "The spirit who belongs to it, dies," Layla answered, eyes on the floor, a haunting look in her eyes. He wanted to ask more but from the light shake of Maribell's head, he let the question die on his tongue. "So tell me valkeri, why are you being so nice to me all of the sudden?" 

"Because you two don't hate each other anymore," she said to him. "Yes we do," Layla and Ash snapped at the same time. Maribell gave a slow nod, "Sure you do." Maribell then disappeared into her charm once more. 

Ash and Layla gave each other looks of disgust before rolling their eyes. Ash then gave her a lesson on how to care for dragons. At the end of Hellucio's bath, Ash was soaked while Layla barely had any water on her, Hellucio's way of telling Ash who he liked more. Layla left to go shower before dinner and Ash looked up at Hellucio. "Fucking traitor," Ash said to him with a glare. Hellucio let out a huff and laid his head down on his arms. Ash shook his head before leaving the compartment grumbling things to himself.