Chapter 16

Layla was channeling her magic, readying herself. It was late but she refused to sleep. Every summoner was putting their faith into her to bring home their summonings. The Head Master had a team ready for when one of her summonings appeared. Even Ash was going with them, refusing to stay behind. Since he was a fourth year, they were allowing him, but his brothers had to stay behind. 

Lilly then slithered up to Layla. "Mistress!" Layla crouched down and held out her hand. Lilly slithered up her hand and arm. "Where are you being held," Layla asked. Lilly pressed the top of her head against Layla's and shared the location of where they were. "Thank you Lilly, you may go back now," Layla instructed the exhausted summoning. Lilly nodded then disappeared. "Where are they," one of the members of their team asked. "A half a day's journey from here in a village that a dark guild calls home," Layla answered while circling the village on the map. They talked over different ways to approach the village. As soon as someone has their hands on the items they were going to rush them back to their summoner. I'm on my way guys, Layla thought to herself as they headed out.

The village was filled with dark magic users, all who were of a high level. From the vehicles they were filling, it was clear they stole and sold goods and illegal magic items. Layla became angered at the thought of someone selling her summonings. When Ash landed his dragon in the field, she didn't hesitate to shoot towards the village. She made a shield appear to block an attack before swapping it for a staff. She slammed her staff into a few, knocking them out. She had to find them. 

Ash ran after her, using his flames on a low heat to take out those she missed. They fought as an in sync team, taking them on. She grabbed one of them, dagger at his throat, "Where are the stolen summonings?" The man gulped, terrified of the dark look in her eyes. "With our leader," he said with a whimper as she dug the tip into him enough to make a small drop of blood appear. "Why did you take them," she asked next. "We were hired to do so," he said. "Please don't kill me." She shoved him away and he let out of a soft cry. She was far to angry to care. Ash caught her arm before she ran off. "You need to calm down," he said to her. "I don't have time to calm down," she snapped. "I can't lose them Ash." "I know that," he said to her. "But you going in all hot headed, won't do them any good." She knew he was right. She nodded and took a deep breath. A dark magic user ran at them, sword raised. Ash had a wall of flames slam upwards, sending them flying, their clothes on fire. The hit the ground with a thud, falling unconscious. Ash put out the flames, not once taking his eyes from her. 

When she felt herself become settled she looked at him. "You good," he asked her. She nodded, "Yeah." He nodded, "Now let's go save them." 

Maribell sensed when Layla got close. Through the veil they could hear the sound of a crash. "Give me back my summonings," they could hear Layla snap at whoever had them. "How did you find us," they asked. "It's show time," Maribell said to the others before disappearing. 

She appeared beside Layla. The leader had deep purple hair, gold eyes, black veins around his eyes. "How are you and the others," Layla asked Maribell. "We're fine, and you?" "I'll be good once I get my hands on your charms," Layla shared with her. Layla eyed the man who looked like he was calculating his next move. "They raided my room and took Kyon," Layla shared with Maribell. Layla had put Kyon's broken charm in a small capsule with a silver ribbon wrapped around it with a tag that had his name and death date on it. Maribell became infuriated then as she drew her sword. Ash stepped back as Layla drew her own sword. "Let's take him out, but we keep him alive," Layla instructed. Maribell nodded and the two women shot forward, swords ready. The man shot blasts of dark magic at them, but Layla sliced them with a sword of light magic. The man then used one of the black rings on his finger to summon his beast. It was a Hell Hound. 

It was as large as a horse with black fur, red eyes, and silver teeth. It launched itself at them and Maribell blocked it. "I've got this," Maribell assured Layla. Ash then stepped in to assist Maribell with the Hound while Layla went against the Leader. 

"Who paid you to steal the summonings from the Academy," Layla snapped. "I'm not telling you anything," he declared. Two more of Layla's summonings appeared, Lucious and Mina. Mina was the Goddess of War. She wasn't big into combat after a harsh past after past summoners made her take endless lives that she regretted, but she would come and assist her Mistress if it meant they got to leave with her. The man's eyes widened. "How do they keep appearing," he asked, his face becoming pale. "I don't lock my summonings," Layla said before slamming her fist into his face. He stumbled back and Lucious made a wall of water surround him while Mina wrapped him in a net of chains. "Now again, who hired you," Layla asked him, a dagger coming to her hand. "I don't know his name. Just that they wanted all summonings both living and broken," the man said when the net tightened, his bones threatening to break by the force of it. "He didn't say why, I swear." 

Layla's summonings left him bound as Layla took back her keys and bracelet. She then picked up Kyon's capsule. "I'm sorry guys," she said. "You were unconscious," Maribell said to her. "It's not your fault. What matters is that you came." Layla gave her a soft smile, "And I always will." She then looked at the Leader and slipped off the Hell Hound's ring, "Where you're going you won't be allowed to have it, I hope you don't mind if I take it." The man wanted to fight and argue but he couldn't due to the chains and water. The authorities took him away and Layla's summonings went back to their dimension. She turned to Ash and he held out a hand. She laced her fingers with his and he pulled her towards him. "Are you okay," he asked her. "I am now that I have them again," she said with a soft smile. "And you have a new addition," he said and she nodded. "I never thought I'd have a black ring summoning." 

"It's in a better place in your hands," he said to her and she agreed. He gave her a soft kiss before they stepped out of the house. At the school the Head Master ensured everyone got their summonings back. Layla kept questioning why they were taken in the first place. What did that person have planned? And who were they?