Chapter 19

Layla smiled as she encouraged her dragon out of the stalls. She's been working incredibly hard to build up her strength and regain her weight. Now though, Strayia should be ready to fly. Hellucio and Ash waited on the field for training as Layla guided her out. Hellucio was perked up as he waited for his mate and her rider. 

Once on the field, Ash inspected Strayia's saddle to ensure it was a perfect fit and that Layla had fastened it correctly. Ash gave her a nod of approval, "Good. Now let's get them to stretch out their wings." Layla nodded and had Strayia work on her wing exercises for a good few minutes. Once Ash deemed them ready, he took to the air on Hellucio. Layla mounted Strayia, "Come on girl." Strayia gave a powerful flap, getting them off the ground easily. With her smaller size, she weighed less, allowing her to take flight faster than most dragons. 

Once in the air, Ash had them do the basic turns and aerial changes. Strayia was guided by the slight shifts in Layla's body and how she held the reins. Layla didn't give verbal commands, simply let her movements speak for her. She had asked Ash how he learned to guide Hellucio without speaking verbally, and Ash explained that when a dragon, as well as other beasts, get used to you commanding them a certain way, that's the only way that will work. So he went with the nonverbal approach from the beginning. He spent hours on the ground with Hellucio in the saddle practicing, and Layla spent the last few weeks doing the same. She wanted to have that level of trust and guidance with Strayia. 

Ash watched the two of them, assessing them. Strayia was able to change and turn with fluid ease, as if she were a simple leaf in the wind. Layla leaned into her easily and never fought them. 

Then Ash and Hellucio challenged the two to a race. They flew over to the obstacle course. 

"Loser buys dinner," Ash told Layla. 

Layla smiled, "Be prepared to take me out for the good stuff." 

Ash chuckled and shook his head before they counted down from three. At one, the dragons took off. 

Many of the other riders who were training stopped to watch the two. The Beast Trainers also stopped to watch. Hellucio started off ahead as Strayia gave a couple of lazy flaps sending her forward. Then Layla tightened her grips on the reins. Strayia took that as her sign to get serious. Strayia shot off like a bullet, flying right past Ash in three flaps. She shot through the obstacles with ease and grace. 

Layla laughed joyously as they got to the end then turned to face Ash, Strayia flapping in place. 

Ash and Hellucio flapped in stunned silence. It had been years since someone had beaten them. They barely had seen the two shoot past them. 

Ash shook his head as he and Hellucio landed. The girls did too and Layla unmounted with a bright smile. Ash approached her with a chuckle, "Not bad weakling." "How's it feel hot head," she teased him. He pulled her towards him, "Very humbling." 

He gave her a kiss, "Now let's go get that dinner." 

They took their dragons back to the stable and got them settled in with fresh hay, water, and food. Ash began walking Layla back to her dorm, "So what are you in the mood for?" 

"I was thinking something spicy," she suggested and he nodded. "I think that sounds good," Ash commented. 

As they walked they saw a group of people. When they got closer they could hear Maxis, Terro, and Cecil towards the center. Ash and Layla pushed through the crowd and saw Maxis and Cecil holding Terro back from fighting Niko. Niko stood there smugly with his arms crossed and a smirk on his face. 

"What the hell is going on here," Ash asked them. 

"You've got very over protective brothers," Niko commented.

"He was spouting off bullshit about you and Layla," Terro told him. Ash turned a harsh glare to Niko, "I don't give a shit what you say about me, but you keep my woman out of your fucking mouth." 

Layla grabbed his arm, "Come on, you can't get in trouble for fighting or you'll get benched from this weekend's game." 

Ash knew she was right so he didn't do anything more. "Scared he'll lose Layla," Niko asked her. 

Layla rolled her eyes, "It has nothing to do with who will win and who will lose. It's the consequences of breaking school rules that I worry about. So if you'll excuse us, we're going to be adults, and not let your petty remarks get us into trouble." 

She pulled her boyfriend from the crowd and his brothers followed. "Idiots," Layla said as she shook her head. "It doesn't matter what he says, you should let it go in one ear and out the other." She then poked her finger into Ash's arm, "Especially you. They could possibly take your Beast Trainer position away if you get in too much trouble for fighting him. He provokes so that it's you guys who throw the first punch and he can claim self defense." 

They knew she was right but Niko had a talent at getting under their skin. "So what all was Niko saying," Ash asked Terro. 

"He kept insinuating that Layla was a whore and was enjoying all of our company," Terro answered. "And that you weren't enough of a man to keep Layla on a leash." 

Ash shook his head, "If I could, I would knock his lights out." 

"I know you want too," Layla told him. "But you can't let him get to you. You have a future career to think about. Niko's just jealous of our relationship." 

"What are you talking about," Maxis asked them. 

"He tried asking Layla to the dance and she turned him down because I had already asked her," Ash answered. "He didn't look all that happy." 

"You two being together already proves you win," Cecil told Ash. "Niko is being childish because you're together, and may try to intervene. Just keep being your stubborn selves and I'm sure he'll give up eventually when his words fall on deaf ears. In the end, if you don't react, it will make him look stupid to everyone else." 

Layla nodded in agreement with him. "Be the bigger person and things will be okay." 

Ash sighed as he wrapped an arm around her waist, "Yeah okay." 

She then looked up at him with a smile, "Now you still owe me dinner." 

"Dinner," Terro asked while perking up. 

Ash glared at the three younger brothers who were looking at their older brother expectantly. "Oh hell no," Ash said. "I'm taking my girlfriend out. You three can fend for yourselves." 

"But don't you love us," Maxis asked him, with a pout. 

"Nope," Ash claimed while popping the 'p'. 

"You're so cruel," Terro declared. He then looked at Layla, "How can you date someone so cruel?" 

"I mean, if it means he has more money to spend on me then I don't see a problem with it," she teased with a smirk. 

Terro looked at her with his jaw dropped. "I thought you loved us," Terro asked before giving a fake sniffle. 

Ash rolled his eyes, "You three are pathetic." 

"I know you are but what am I," Maxis asked him. 

Layla and Cecil shared a look before shaking their heads at the three of them. Eventually Layla was able to pull Ash away from his bickering brothers so they could go out. Ash slipped his arm around her waist and kissed the top of her head. "Had you not talked sense into me, I probably would've knocked his lights out so thank you." 

She smiled up at him, "I'll always be there to knock some sense into you, whether it's verbally or physically. You can always count on me hot head." He chuckled softly before giving her a kiss. "Now let's go get your fat ass something to eat."