Chapter 3

Layla was sitting at her desk, looking over the forms for the games until someone knocked on her window. Confused she got up and pulled back the curtains. Sitting on a platform of Earth was Maxis and Terro. "What are you doing here," she asked them while crossing her arms. "Here to bring you along to a party," Maxis replied. "It'll give you the chance to make some friends."

She rolled her eyes, "I'm not into parties." Terro pouted, "Please." She shook her head, "Getting drunk is not something I would consider fun. Plus I have my first test tomorrow morning. Ms. Botnic is testing us on our knowledge of plants and I won't pass if I'm hungover." Maxis shook her head, "Very few pass her first test because there are hundreds of plants mentioned, most not even found here." "It doesn't matter, I need to get some rest. Besides, I haven't had a decent night's sleep since getting back from my journey." She told them. "Maybe next time."

They sighed but dropped it, deciding to leave her be for now. She shut the curtain and sighed, going over to her bed. She laid down and used her magic to turn off the lights.

She sat down next to Cecil, who was in fact hung over."Enjoy yourself?" She asked him. He groaned, "Next time, I'm following your lead, and telling them no." She laughed softly and shook her head. Suddenly Ms. Botnic appeared behind her desk, "Let's get this test started." She waved her hands and the thick test appeared in front of them. Cecil groaned as he flipped through it, "This is a text book, not a test." "A question per-page is fine, and there are photos to help you," Layla said with a shrug. Cecil shook his head, "Its still over a hundred questions." Layla nodded, "Then I guess you need to start answering questions and stop talking."

It took everyone over an hour to complete the test. Another thirty minutes for them to be graded. They then reappeared in front of everyone, except for Layla's. Many began to cry and groan over their failing grade. "How many of you did not receive a test?" Ms. Botinic asked the class. Layla was the only one to raise her hand.

"You test is in the frame." She said pointed to the back wall where a big one hundred was stamped to it. Cecil looked at her, wide eyed and jaw dropped. "How?" The bell the rang, "I would love to answer that, but I have to get to my next class."

"Not so fast Ms. Scara, I'd like a word with you." Ms. Botnic said from her desk. Cecil grabbed his stuff, "I'm interrogating you at lunch." Layla rolled her eyes and went up to her desk. Ms. Botnic waited till every student was out of the room. "How do you know so much?" She asked calmly. Layla explained to her about her journey, "My uncle made sure I knew about the plants and their properties of the area we were in at that time. He is a potions expert. If I passed his tests I didn't have to sleep on the floor of wherever we were stopping for the night." She nodded, "Come by my class after school, I want to properly test you and see if I need to move you to one of my different classes." Layla nodded, "Yes ma'am."

She left the class and rushed to her next. At lunch Cecil sat across from her with his arms crossed, glaring. "Woah, what did we walk in on?" Maxis asked as he sat down with his food. "She got a hundred on her test and won't tell me how." Cecil replied. Terro sat down next to Cecil, "I heard about that. Half the school thinks you cheated." She shrugged, "Let them have their thoughts. She's going to test me further today after school, see if she needs to change my class." "We wish you luck, she has the toughest classes ever to pass," Maxis told her.

Cecil looked around, "Where is Ash?" "With the Dragon Rider Team," Terro said, pointing his thumb over his shoulder. Ash was at the center table, wearing a red and black Jersey with a dragon on it. Dragon riding was racing on dragons. EMA had some of the best riders in the world. "I heard he was voted as team captain again this year," Maxis said. "Dad is going to be proud." Terro and Cecil nodded in agreement.

"So Layla, are you going to join in the games this year?" Cecil asked her, changing the subject. She shrugged, "I haven't decided. Fighting to see who's stronger really isn't my style." "The winner gets to be moved to the winner's dorm," Terro told her. "And given one powerful prize that fits their magic style. For summoners they get a God key." That had her perk up, "Which God?" Maxis shrugged, "Don't know." A God key, huh, she thought. "Okay, I'll join in. Don't know if I'll join a team, but solo is a definite." "Looks like things will be interesting this year, just know we won't be defeated so easily," Terro said smiling.

She smirked, "If it was easy then it wouldn't be fun." Her charms warmed in excitement, her summons feeling excited for the up coming challenge.

After school she walked into Ms. Botnic's class. The woman had several tests of potions, poisons, and other things spread out onto different tables. "Let's get started shall we?" The Head Master then came in, "Good, I'm just in time. Good afternoon Layla, mind if I watch?" Layla shook her head, "Not at all."

Layla smiled softly, let's do this, she thought.

After she was done she turned to them, "Well?" "Bravo Ms. Scara. I think I should move her to my year four class. What do you think Head Master Pilo?" Ms. Botnic asked him. He nodded, "It wouldn't be fair to keep her in a class that is too easy for her." A paper then appeared in his hand, "Here is your new schedule, effective immediately."

Layla took it, "Thank you both." She left the classroom, looking over her schedule. 

"The brothers shouldn't have let you out of their sights." A voice said from behind her. She turned around, "What do you want Niko?" "To teach you a lesson for getting mouthy." He replied. She placed a hand on her hip, above her God Keys, "I'd be careful if I were you." He eyed her charms and keys before laughing, "You're just a summoner. You're no match for me." She watched as his eyes turn to those of a snake's. "Is there a problem," Head Master Pilo asked when stepping out of Ms. Botnic's class, with Ms. Botnic behind him. Niko's eyes went back to normal, "No problem at all sir." Layla nodded before walking past Niko, her anger still simmering within her. 

"How did your test go," Cecil asked when he sat down with Maxis at dinner that night. "It was fine," she muttered as she stabbed her dinner harshly with her fork, still angry a couple hours later about her run in with Niko. "What's got you in a bad mood," Terro asked as he and Ash sat down. "I had a run in with our good friend Niko," she answered. Ash tensed, "What happened?" "Threatened me. Claimed he wanted to teach me a lesson for being mouthy." She waved a hand. "Head Master Pilo stepped in before anything could happen, so neither of us were able to do anything." She stabbed her food again, "The audacity of that snake bastard for calling me weak just because I'm a summoner. I'll be happy to show that bastard who's weaker." 

"Yeah well, for you to do that, you'll have to go against him in the team division, because he doesn't do solos," Ash told her before taking a drink of his water. "Every year during the teams portion it always comes down to Ash and Niko being the last ones standing in their teams," Terro said to her. "The only team that has a chance against his team is ours. Hate to admit it, but they're that good. If you want a shot at him, you can join our team, we can have up to six." 

Layla looked them over, "You're making a team together this year?" Cecil nodded, "It's the only time all four of us can be on a team together, since Ash graduates this year. Layla looked over at Ash to see if he would protest to the idea. He didn't look thrilled to have her on their team, but he didn't speak against it. So she nodded, "Sign me up."