Chapter 12 - The Search Begins

A/N - There will be definitely be some EraserMic (Aizawa x Hizashi). If you have a problem with it please just don't read it. I don't need hate over a ship. Thank you.

~Aizawa's Perspective~

I sighed as I left the apartment. Hizashi would be be at the radio station late again tonight, but I wouldn't even be at the house to enjoy the few hours of quiet. Tsukauchi had called me and said that he had something he needed to talk to me about. In person, which was never good. It usually meant a new case. I sighed again and made my way quickly to the station. I didn't want to be out of the house any longer than I had to.

I walked into the station and went straight to Tsukauchi's office, not even acknowledging the officer at the front desk. I knocked on the door once before letting myself in. Tsukauchi's head shot up and he dropped the file in his hand.

"Aizawa-san. You startled me." Tsukauchi said as he stood. "Please, have a seat." the detective said, gesturing at the seats in front of his desk. I glared at him, but sat nonetheless. Tsukauchi sat down with a tired sigh and I noticed the slight bags under his eyes.

"Why am I here?" I asked coldly. I knew I should probably be a little nicer, especially with how Tsukauchi was looking, but I was too tired to care. I had just gotten home from a patrol when Tsukauchi had called me and I had a class to teach in the morning. Tsukauchi sighed again and dragged a hand tiredly down his face.

"I need your help on a case." the detective said simply.

"And why me?" I practically growled when Tsukauchi didn't continue. The man rubbed his temples and sighed again.

"Because no one else will. They're all claiming to be too busy." Tsukauchi said, sounding annoyed. I raised an eyebrow skeptically prompting Tsukauchi to elaborate. "A kid went missing a few days ago, and no one is willing to help because the boy's quirkless." the detective said, sounding frustrated and angry. I stared at him blankly as the words registered in my brain.

"They what?!" I growled when it finally sank in. Then it was Tsukauchi's turn to raise an eyebrow. "They won't help just because the kid is quirkless?" I growled through gritted teeth.

"Yeah." Tsukauchi said with a sigh as he leaned back in his chair. "We have one agency that agreed to help, but I was hoping that you would also agree. You know, to increase the numbers."

"Oh? What agency?" I asked. Though I was surprised, I kept it hidden under my usual monotone.

"It was Henso's old agency." Tsukauchi said quietly. I sucked in a sharp breath at that. "Her husband, Cat-Astrophe, took over when she... Anyways, he looked really angry when he heard about the other agencies' discrimination." the detective said. "I'm actually not sure I've ever seen him so angry. It was..." he trailed off with a shiver. "It was terrifying." he finished.

I didn't say anything. I remembered Henso. She had been a great hero, but she had liked to keep her personal life private. I hadn't known she was married. I hadn't even known her real name. Sure, I'd met Cat-Astrophe a few times, I'd even worked with him on a couple missions, but I'd had no idea that they were married. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind. I would have to tell Hizashi about this some time. See how Cat-Astrophe was doing after losing his wife. Especially the way he did. I shook the thoughts away and focused on Tsukauchi who was watching me carefully.

"Alright." I finally said. "I'll help. What do you need me to do?" I asked.

Tsukauchi looked at me surprised. He sat staring at me with his mouth hanging open slightly. The detective didn't move for a few minutes, but then he suddenly shook his head and blinked rapidly, freeing himself from whatever trance he'd been in. I just stared at him blankly the entire time, my expression remaining the same even as the detective responded.