Chapter 24 - The Letter

-Izuku's Perspective-

"Your letter from UA should be arriving today." Kurogiri said nonchalantly as he set down the glass he had just finished cleaning.

"I should probably go wait at the apartment for it then." I said, quickly standing up. "Is there anything you want me to pick up at the store while I'm out?" I asked as I took my notebook off of the bar counter and closed it before tucking it into the front pocket of my black hoodie. I also grabbed my pen off the counter and tucked it into the pocket alongside my notebook.

"We need more vegetables and tofu." Kurogiri said as he stepped around the counter to stand in front of me. "I'm making katsudon tonight, so be sure to be back before dinner." Kurogiri said, his misty hand resting gently on my shoulder. His words, along with the reassuring warmth on my shoulder, was Kurogiri's reminder of his emergency plan in case I didn't get into the school.

I kind of hoped that I hadn't passed the entrance exams, just so that we would have to go through with Kurogiri's emergency plan, but then I tought about Tomura and Sensei and remembered once more exactly why it was the emergency  plan.

"Thank you, 'Giri. I'll be back as soon as I can." I told him with a small smile. With those parting words, I walked backwards through the warp gate he had opened behind me with a small wave. Kurogiri said nothing as the gate closed behind me, but I could see the slight fond crinkle that his yellow eyes took on.

______

I can't do this.  I thought as I held the letter in my hands an hour later.

I had been writing in my notebook at the small table in the small dining room when a knock had sounded at the door. I froze, but made no move to answer. A minute later, there was the sound of footsteps receding and I raced to the door. I looked briefly through the peephole to make sure that there really wasn't anyone still there, and then rushed to unlock and open the door of the small apartment. On the ground was a small pile of mail that I quickly snatched up. Then I rushed back inside, shut the door, locked it, and practically ran to the tiny couch in the small living room.

I quickly began going through the small stack of envelopes and flyers, setting all the junk on the small coffee table in front of me. My leg was anxiously bouncing a mile a minute as I quickly went through the stack. It wasn't until the second last envelope that I found what I was looking for. I inhaled sharply at the sight of the UA symbol on the front of the envelope. The contents of the envelope would determine my future, and I hesitated to open it. Finally, I took a deep breath to steel my nerves and gently tore the top open. Inside was a small black disk and a few folded up sheets of crisp white paper. I gently pulled the contents out of the envelope and set them onto the coffee table.

I looked between the papers and the disk and tied to decide which to examine first. I decided to go with the papers, but as soon as I had picked them up, the disk on the table lit up as a holographic video popped out of the top of it. My eyes narrowed in suspicion at the disc but my suspicion was quickly replaced by shock, confusion, and, most prominently, disgust. The holo-video had come into focus to reveal All Might with a blinding smile.

"I AM HERE!" he exclaimed loudly. I had to fight back a growl at those despicable words. Then I took a deep breath and forced my anger and disgust down so that I could focus on what was being said, rather than who was saying them.

"It is I! All Might! Coming to you in the form of a hologram! You may be wondering why I'm the one telling you about the results of your exam. Well, I am teaching at UA this year!"