Part 6: Because I Care

Steve's POV:
I help Natasha into the jet. The moment the back closed of the jet she dropped her gun to the floor. She sat down in a chair as I put pressure on your wound.
"Why do you not seem to care that you just got shot and are bleeding" I ask.
"Because everything seems a little blurry and I really don't care. If I die I can finally rest" Says Nat.
"Shut up you have so much to live for I can't let you die" I say.
"Why not, how would my death affect you" asks nat.
"Because Nat you are my best friend and I couldn't bare to lose you" I say.
Natasha nods and says, "Yeah well I guess your my best friend too, out of like 10 or so people"
I looked to Bucky who was sitting quietly in the corner.
"You good Bucky" I ask.
"Yeah" he says standing up and walking over to us.
"How long until we get to stark?" I ask.
"Marina wants you some where else, somewhere more underground until the KGB stops looking for you three" Says Clint.
"Uh Okay" Says Nat.
"Hey Natalia..., I mean Nat, how you feeling" asks bucky.
"Like I was just shot, your welcome for taking a bullet to keep you safe" she says.
"Yeah sorry about that and my times as the winter soldier I didn't know what I was doing" Says Bucky.
"Yeah, no one does but they remember it after" Says Nat chuckling.
"So are you two ever going to tell me how you two really know each other" I ask.
"We were in the KGB together, he was in a red room program for guys, he started later. Then we were together in the KGB, partners kind of. Then I escaped after 7 or so years in the KGB and 11 years in the red room." Says Nat.
I look down not really knowing what happened in the red room but I knew it was bad. No details though.
"Yeah KGB, we were involved for awhile but she escaped. Then they turned up my memory erasing so I forgot almost everything, except for Nat" Says Bucky, smiling at Nat.
She gives a small smile back but it was more in pain then memory.
"What do you mean involved? I ask.
"What do you think it means Steve" asks nat annoyed, "and why would you care"
"Because I care about you" I say.
Bucky goes back to his seat while I keep pressure on her wound.
"Hey Clint do you have an ETA on when we will arrive because Nat can't hang on much longer" I say realizing how much blood Nat was losing.
"Five minutes" calls out Clint.
"It's fine it will heal. I have this widow serum or whatever that I was given in the red room, it will heal quickly and I'll be back to the compound by tomorrow afternoon" says Nat.
"Like my super soldier serum?" I ask.
"Yeah but instead of making me a better soldier is makes me a better spy. Less likely to get killed" Says Nat.
"I hope." I say.
We land and I help Nat walk into the facility. She refused to be carried. We walk in to be greeted by Hill.
"We'll get you stitched up but I thought you'd want to see someone first" Says Hill.
Nat nods but I could tell she's confused.
We walk into a hospital room and Fury is lying there.
"You guys didn't think that you'd get rid of me that easily" Says Fury.
I was shocked and so many questions like why'd he fake his death.
"I knew something was off with your death" Says Nat sitting down as doctor comes in and gives her an IV along with stitching up her wound.
"So did you find the son of a bitch who tried to kill me?" Asks fury.
"Yes but it's a little complicated" I say.
"He is known as the winter soldier but the issue was he didn't have control over what he did, like my past" Says Nat.
"Okay, well did you find him" asks fury.
Nat points outside the door and says, "James come in"
He walk in slowly.
"I'm so sorry that I tried to kill you" Says Bucky.
"I believe you since she trusts you but do you know who hired me" asks fury.
"No I don't remember" Says James.
"Okay" Says Fury, "doc, when can Agent Romanoff be good to go"
"She can leave tonight as she is healing very quick" Says the doctor.
Nat nods.
We sit in silence for a little while before the doctor says, "all done" and leaves.
"So what do you two suggest I do with Bucky because I can't leave him out on the streets with the KGB looking for him" asks fury.
"Keep him in the avengers facility" I say.
"Wakanda, doesn't that place have like a force field around it or some shit" Says Natasha.
"Maybe But we have to get him there quick and they would have to be okay with him staying there" Says Fury.
Hill walks in and says, "they said it's fine with them he just can't kill anyone"
"Okay fly him there right away" Says Fury.
Hill nods and leaves. Bucky follows her.
"This is temporary right?" I ask.
"Once the KGB stops looking he can live in the avengers facility but until then.." Says fury with his voice trailing off.
Both of us nod.
"As much fun this has been learning that your not dead I'm going to Stark's tower and get some food or something" Says Nat.
"The doc said to stay here for a while and rest" I say.
"Would you rest" she asks.
"Fine" I say.
We walk outside and now it's dark out. I could hear the crickets chirping in the nearby forest and see small fireflies in the air. I hear Natasha take a deep breath in.
"Taking in the night air" I ask.
"It's my favorite time of day" she says, "so peaceful and calm"
"Yeah, it's nice to have those moments when we live such a hectic life" I say.
"Sometimes we would train at night in the red room. The times when we were up for 48 hours straight. If they saw you start to dose off you'd be the next target practice. During the night it would be like real life hunger games, kid fighting kid to the death. Those times end up making up most of my dreams. That or fighting hand to hand combat to the death, the moment when you have them on the ground already defeated and almost dead but knowing that you still have to snap their neck. Watching the light go out in their eyes" Says Nat.
"I'm so sorry that you had to go through that, no one deserves to have to see that, especially you" I say feeling a uncomfortable from what she just told me.
She nods.
"I have one question" I ask.
"What" she ask back.
"How old were you when you first killed someone" I ask, "I swear I won't judge"
"I was seven and a half, March 3rd" Says Nat, "it was her or me, she was going to die anyways"
I nod.
"Well we should get back to stark before he starts to worry" Says Nat in an unusually soft tone.
She was sad. I could tell.
"I'm sorry Nat, I should not have asked" I say.
"It's fine, you would've found out anyway" Says Nat, "one day I'll tell you everything"
"I'll be here to listen when ever you are ready" I say.
We get in jet and fly back to Stark's building.