chapter 03 : The Cadets

Year 845.

The Colossal Titan and the Armored Titan appeared out of nowhere. Instantly, the walls were shattered, along with the illusory peace of everyday life.

Thus, driven by a century of hunger, the Titans descended upon mankind once again.

Mankind abandoned Wall Maria.

They lost a fifth of their population, and a third of their territory, as human activity was pushed back to Wall Rose.

As everyone knows, 107 years ago, the entire human race, save for us was devoured by the titans.

Following that, our ancestors constructed walls that the titans couldn't get over. And thus successfully secured a safe, titan-free domain.

That is, until six years ago.

The 104th Cadet Corps Class entrance ceremony will now begin. The first day started with the trainees gathered in the field.

A bald man with prominent wrinkles on his forehead and dark circles around his eyes standing on a wooden platform in front of all the trainees. "You will have the misfortune of having me, Keith Shadis, as your commandant!" he said with an intimidating tone. He is wearing the standard instructor's uniform for the Training Corps.

"I do not welcome you warmly!" he growled. His voice was gravelly. "In your current state, you'd be nothing but food for Titans! You're mere livestock! You're less than livestock!" roared him.

"Over the next three years, we're going to train you worthless pukes and teach you how to fight the Titans. Three years from now, when you come face-to-face with the Titans, will you still be fodder for them? Will you serve as an honorable barrier that protects the king? Or will you be a glorious soldier for humanity that drives the titans out?" he paused, "Its up to you to decide!"

Lizzy finds that he deliberately presented himself as imposing, strict and frightening.

The commandant started to get off the stage and walked between the rows of trainees, then he stare at Armin and stopped in front of him. "You there!" he barked and Armin jumped. "Yes, sir!"

Lizzy looked on her brother's trembling face, he's more like suprised to be the one that the commandant chooses.

"Who are you?!" he asked, but the tone more like indignant.

"Armin Arlert from Shiganshina!"

The commandant squinted, "Yeah, that's a stupid name. Your parents give you that?"

"My grandfather did!" Armin blurted out.

"Arlert, what are you doing here?!"

Armin looked extremely apprehensive, "Trying to aid in humanity's victory!" he said reassuringly.

"That is indeed wonderful... Then you will feed the Titans!" he said, but then he turned around and walked away, "Row 3, about face!" he growled.

"Who are you?!" he asked to the blond hair with pronounced sideburns.

"Thomas Wagner, from Trost," he said in a small voice.