chapter 09 : A Monster

In year 850, the Colossal Titan once again appeared out of nowhere and broke the wall, permitting the Titans to advance further.

Soldiers fell one after another facing down the Titans. Then, Eren fell prey to a Titan as well.

Just as Mikasa was cornered, a mysterious Titan suddenly appeared to fend off the other Titans.

***

"B-But with so many Titans around, you can't possibly carry me along..." said Armin.

"Let's get going!" Connie takes Armin by the arm, and the trio runs toward the edge of the building.

Armin looks back at the Mysterious Attack Titan and thinks.

"Ah! Wait!" Armin breaks away from Connie's grip, and the they stops.

"Listen to me! I've got a suggestion," said Armin.

"A suggestion?" asked Lizzy keenly, looking appalled.

"It's a two-person operation, so you two should decide whether to carry it out or not," said Armin to Mikasa and Lizzy. "I know it's crazy, but... couldn't we use that Titan?"

"That Titan?" asked Connie.

"It's only attacking other Titans. It seems uninterested in humans. I was thinking of luring it to the supply tower somehow," said Armin.

"Lure it? How would we even pull that off?" asked Connie again.

"I think it acts on instinct," said Armin. "If Lizzy and Mikasa defeat the Titans in its vicinity, then it'll start looking for other Titans. Most likely, it'll move towards the Titans swarming around Headquarters!"

"Brilliant!" said Lizzy in a bright voice. "If it handles the other Titans for us, we could get everyone out of this alive!"

"How could we do something so risky based on a mere guess?!" asked Connie quickly.

"But if it does work, we could eliminate every Titan at HQ in one fell swoop!" said Armin.

"It's at least worth a shot," said Mikasa.

"Wha?! Are you serious?!" asked Connie, looking thunderstruck.

"Absolutely," said Lizzy crisply.

"If we're facing certain death either way, the path to take is the path with a chance of victory. Let's go with Armin's plan," said Mikasa.

"You want to side with a Titan to fight against Titans?" asked Connie.

"Yes. Precisely,"

"It won't even be funny if we fail," said Connie, trying to sound as though he found the whole thing a joke.

"But if we succeed, everyone will be saved," said Armin.

"Make up your mind," Mikasa runs in the direction of the Mysterious Attack Titan. Lizzy and Armin follows after her.

"I get it! Dammit, I get it!" said Connie.

***

Elsewhere on the battlefield. Jean stands on the rooftop of a building, watching a group of Titans surrounding a soldier.

Am I really cut out for this?

Can I handle a position with this much responsibility?

The Titans are relatively concentrated around there.

This is our chance!

"Go! Hurry to HQ while you can!" Jean jumps off the roof to a lower building and runs toward HQ. Marco, Sasha, Reiner, Bertolt, and Annie follow.