Thirteen - Secrets

Secrets

It was the night of Halloween. Harmony and her sister, Meadow, had gone into the forest. There they would play hide-and-seek, a tradition they created a long time ago. Their parents had no problem with their children running around in the woods at night. One of the benefits of having carefree parents. Meadow and Harmony stopped in a small grass field with many trees around them. "Let's count here," Meadow told. "Alright. Same rules as last time?" Harmony asked referring to last Halloween where they created new rules. "Yes and I'll count."

Her sister turned her head towards an old tree and started counting, "One... two... three..." Harmony ran off into the woods. The complete opposite of her sister. She kept running until she came across a large bush she could easily hide inside. She quietly hid inside. It was so quiet she could hear her own heart beating and owls hooting in the background. The forest was quite scary at night. She had got used to it but the darkness and creepy sounds still scared her at times.

Harmony prepared herself to start running when she heard leaves cracking on the ground. At first, she thought Meadow had found her but realized two people were walking instead of one. She quietly listened to them. They stopped walking and put down a heavy bag. "I feel like this would be a good place," a familiar voice said. A very familiar voice. It was Abbie. Harmony felt a bit confused about why Abbie was in the forest on Halloween and with who was she? "Do you wanna run free or get tied up?" another familiar voice told. It was Kai.

Harmony rather didn't want to assume it, but it sounded quite sexual. "I really don't know, what do you think?" Abbie asked. They were moving around quite a bit since Harmony heard the sounds of clothes and leaves rustling a lot. "I would run free-," Kai said and cut off his words mid-sentence. "Do you want me to turn around because I hope not," he told. Harmony could hear his smugness from multiple feet away. She hated Kai with all her guts. That was why she just couldn't understand what Abbie saw in Kai. He was very obviously a manipulative asshole.

"Whatever you-... Ah, fuck!" Abbie screamed out. Harmony could hear a loud snap, like a bone was cracking. She wanted to jump out of the bush and help her but stayed in the bush since she was scared. One question raced through her mind, did Kai hurt her? More bone snaps followed. Harmony quietly tried to get a view of them. She saw something through the bushes and trees. It was fur. Was she attacked by an animal? She kept looking and saw it was Abbie who had fur on her. Emphasis on was. Because Abbie was now a big brown wolf. 

The wolf looked meanly at Kai. Harmony was in shock she quietly got out of the bushes and began running. She ran all the way back to the place Meadow started counting a few minutes ago. She grabbed all her stuff and quickly pushed it into her bag. Meadow appeared out of the bushes into the open field and yelled, "Ha, I found you! ... Wait what are you doing?" Harmony ran over to her sister and grabbed her hand. "What is going on?" Meadow asked confused. Harmony placed her fingers on her lips and quietly said, "Shhh, we have to go."

She dragged her little sister by the hand out of the forest. Once out of the forest and onto the streets Harmony still didn't want to say what happened to her sister. "You're just trying to scare me aren't you?" her sister said getting a bit annoyed. "No, I'm not. Keep walking we're almost home." Meadow huffed and listened to her big sister. They walked in silence in the darkness for ten minutes before they were home. Harmony had decided to not tell anyone what she saw and go to Abbie herself tomorrow. That way there would be no confusion.

It was the next day. It was Saturday, so Harmony didn't need to go to school. She had big bags under her eyes since she hadn't slept the whole night. She kept thinking of what to say to Abbie in the morning. Harmony got on her bike and rode to Abbie's house. She was awfully nervous and started having doubts. What if it never happened, and she had imagined it all? She parked her bike on the pavement and rang Abbie's doorbell.