Two - Rumors

Rumors

It had been around two weeks since Abbie's first day at school. Abbie and Harmony had been hanging out quite a lot. Abbie had slowly developed a crush on Kai, one she hadn't told Harmony yet. She wanted to talk to him and hang out. She had tried talking to him many times since they had almost all classes together, which for Abbie was a sign that they meant to be together. Unlike Harmony where they had no classes together.

She had given him the 'I like you' stare, but he hadn't gotten that hint. She had also tried to talk to him after one of their classes, but he didn't realize it was to him and completely ignored her. That was why she had decided to wait for a perfect opportunity.

"Hey, Abbie! Do you want to go to the skating rink tonight?" Harmony asked when she walked up to Abbie, "I heard today was disco night." Abbie closed her locker, "Yes, I would love to go." Harmony smiled and did a twirl. "You seem enthusiastic today; any news?" Abbie asked out of curiosity. "Yes, I do! My mother told me this morning I'm going to Italy next vacation to see my grandma since forever." Harmony's father was from Italy and had come to America In the 1960s to study but instead became a free-spirited hippie when he met her mother. It seemed like a cute love story, but Harmony's grandma didn't like her son's lifestyle. That was why they only met once in a few years.

"I'm so happy for you!" Abbie told enthusiastically. "Thank you!" Harmony told and looked at her watch, "I got to go, my lesson has already started! Bye!" Abbie waved goodbye and quickly left to go to her class since she was late too. The physics classroom was a dull, boring room with grey walls and dispair in the air. "Good that you finally decided to join us," the nerdy teacher told. He wore a boring plaid shirt with denim jeans and a denim jacket. She gave the teacher an awkward grin and walked over to the only available seat. The seat next to Kai. 

"Today, we're going to try something new. You're going to do a project with the person next to you," the teacher said. Abbie glanced over to Kai. This was exactly the opportunity she was waiting for. This way, she could talk to him even if it was just about physics. The teacher was explaining things further, but Abbie wasn't listening. She was far too distracted.

After class Abbie hastily ran up to Kai before he could leave. "So I was wondering when do you have time for the project since-." He cut her off, "In three days at your place?" She seemed hesitant, "My house is still a mess since we're still moving in. Could we do the project at your house?" He looked somewhat annoyed at her answer but swiftly hid it with a grin, "Fine." He continued walking down the hall while Abbie came to a stop and stood there with a smile as big as the moon on her face.

After school in the evening, Abbie was waiting on harmony at the skating rink. Abbie rather skated with a skateboard, but Harmony wasn't good at skateboarding. Abbie found it quite funny when Harmony tried skateboarding, especially since Abbie was a pro at skateboarding. But nevertheless, Abbie didn't mind rollerskating at the rink. After all, there was food, bright lights, and good music. What else would you want?

"Hey, Abigail!" Abbie heard coming from the distance. It was Harmony coming towards her on her roller skates. Harmony had put her curly red hair in a bun and was wearing bright neon clothes. Abbie herself was sporting blue leggings and a colorful bomber jacket. "Hi harmony, how are you doing?" Harmony waved her arms around, trying to keep her balance.

"I'm doing good, but Christ, I'm terrible at skating," Harmony told defeated after she fell on her butt. Abbie walked over to her and helped her up. "You know what? We can go eat at the snack bar, and when you're more confident, we can go skate," Abbie suggested. "Yes, let's do that."

After ordering some fries and hamburgers, Abbie and Harmony seated themselves in a booth. The booths chairs were red, and the greasy tables were blue. "So I was wondering if you know Kai?" Abbie asked as a conversation starter. She had been curious about who he was, and asking Harmony about him seemed like a good start.

Harmony's face dropped from her usual happy smile to a frown, "Yes, why?" She looked concerned, which made Abbie unsure. Was he that bad? "Well, uh, in three days, I'm going to his house to do a project with him, and I was wondering if you knew more about him." As soon as those words left Abbie's mouth, Harmony looked at her with pity.

"I heard he was the one who burned down the gym," she continued, "Using the stuff he stole in the chemistry lab." A rumor was just a rumor. Abbie heard a lot of those during her many moves. And most of the time, the only reason such rumor existed was because of a popular kid who decided they didn't like a specific student, usually someone different from the others.

Abbie raised an eyebrow, "I don't think he was the one who burned the gym down." In 1986, almost 2 years ago, the gym burned down with a gym teacher still inside it. He died in there. It was such a tragedy that they put up a statue in his honor and held a memorial every year. Regardless of the fact, Abbie had only been here two weeks, it was such a famous story even she knew about it.

"Look, I'm normally not someone who listens to the rumors, but there is so much evidence. For example, Whitney, you know that blond-haired girl with the annoying voice, well she saw him come out of the science classroom after school the day before the fire. And supposedly, he had an argument with the gym teacher just before he died," Harmony worriedly told.

"I don't think he did it," Abbie said fearlessly, while in reality, she felt terrified. But this did raise another question if there was evidence against him, how come he hadn't been arrested yet? Surely a detective would have been able to figure it out.

"You know what, let's not think about that anymore. Let's just have fun and go skate," Harmony suggested, and that was exactly what they did.

--*-*-*- Editor's note -*-*-*--

Hm, that fella Kai sounds like a bad egg. Better to stay away from him!

Just kidding, no one could stay away from him even if their lives depended on it. Hopefully, you liked this chapter and found it exciting enough to read the rest too. Remember to point out the foolish mistakes I made because I make them a lot, and I'm not even talking about my writing anymore.

This chapter is the shortest of them all, and I have no clue how to make it longer, so I hope you don't mind the shorter chapter.