Nineteen - Day One Thousand

Day One Thousand

"There is only one thing we will be able to do," Kai said. Abbie nodded. She agreed, and knew exactly what he meant, "We will have to kill her for real this time." Jo looked stunned at the two. "Look, I'm no fan of Carrie, but killing her? Isn't that too far?" she asked. "I thought so too at first. That was before she brutally murdered me. She deserves it," Abbie told Jo. Her body quivered when thinking back to her horrifying murder that happened only a week ago. At first, she had lightly forgotten what happened. But as time went on, she started to remember everything so much clearer. Jo sighed, "I still don't agree, but I won't stop you."

Only a day later, Abbie and Kai were already planning Carrie's demise. They stood in the middle of the woods. She had a bag in her hand and was collecting sticks, so they could make stakes from them. After all, they had to murder an immortal being on a budget. It wasn't as if any of the two had a job, and Abbie only got an allowance of two dollars a month. Her mother wasn't rich, but still, more than Kai got. His parents gave him nothing. She wasn't sure why they weren't poor or anything. Maybe, they just didn't want to give him anything.

"I got a good stick!" Abbie yelled to Kai after she picked up a small thick stick. "Good one more to go!" he yelled back. She placed the stick in her bag. They had already collected three branches a few minutes earlier. It still felt weird that one of these wooden sticks could kill her. She was basically making something that could hurt her. That wasn't the only thing that felt weird. She still hadn't been over the whole 'you're dead now' thing. If her death wasn't already traumatic enough, the 'after life' sure was. Nothing good had happened to her ever since she died. How was she ever going to continue if this was going to happen for eternity? If her mind wasn't full of doubt already, the word eternity sure filled it up quickly. How long could eternity even be?

"I got the last stick!" Kai yelled and walked over to Abbie. He placed the stick in the bag, and they started walking out of the woods. "My mom is gone this whole week. Do you want to come to my place? Then you can finally show off those amazing cooking skills you have been preaching about," Abbie said and looked up to the sky, which was dark and gray. "Sure. I'll make my famous pasta." Abbie smiled, it was nice having Kai around, and it was way better than an empty house. The sky slowly turned darker and darker as they walked home. When they reached the house they almost couldn't see their hands before their eyes.

"It sure got dark quick," Abbie said and opened her front door. "That's what you get when you what to go to the record store first," he mentioned. She dropped her keys in a little dish by the door and hanged her jacket on the coat hanger. "Sue me for wanting to buy the new Madonna song!" Abbie grinned, "For which I didn't have enough money to buy." Kai removed his jacket and also hanged it on the coat hanger. They both walked over to the couch and sat on it. "I'm still not sure why you didn't just use compulsion on the lady that worked there," he said and put his arm around her. "I recognized her from school that would just be weird, wouldn't it?"

Kai shrugged his shoulders, "It wouldn't have been for me." He looked around the room. "I was wondering why is your mom gone for the week?" he asked. "She had to go to some funeral of a distant family member, who I never heard of before. They apparently lived on the other side of the country, so yeah," she explained. Why her mother cared enough about this distant family member to go to their funeral was a whole different story. One that even Abbie couldn't explain. "Interesting. In my family, we basically know everyone. It would be rare that there is a distant family member we don't know yet," he said and noticed a small family portrait with her and her mother. Abbie saw him staring at the picture. She grabbed it and showed it closer. "That's my mother and me, three years ago."

Three years ago was such a different world. Abbie could barely remember how that was like. "I was fourteen years old. My mom got a huge bonus from work, so we packed our bags, sold the house, and decided to live in Hawaii for nine months. I got so unbelievably tan it was crazy. She homeschooled me for that time, and she let me finish schoolwork earlier, so I could go surfing," Abbie smiled when remembering that time in her life. "You have been so many places and probably have so many stories to tell, but you never do. Why?" he asked curiously. Abbie looked down to the ground, "I don't know. It just feels like those memories belong to a completely different person, which in a way is true."

"I suppose so, anyway," he said and stood up. He walked over to the bag of sticks and grabbed one out of it. "It's getting late lets practice. Then, we can go make dinner." Abbie nodded. They pushed the coffee table out of the way to create room and started practicing. Abbie quickly began winning because of her strength, but Kai's quick thinking won him a few rounds. After a while, they decided to do one more round before making dinner. Immediately after they began, Abbie swung the wooden stick, but Kai dodged it. He quickly stood back up and almost stabbed her in the heart. "That's a clear win," he grinned. "You know, if we work together, we should easily take her down," Abbie observed. "She has no chance," he said. They cleaned up the mess they made and walked into the kitchen.

The kitchen was a typical small American kitchen. The kitchen counters and cabinets were beige and white and there was a small island in the middle. "Grab the pasta and some tomatoes," Kai instructed Abbie. She swiftly opened up the cabinets while Kai looked through their spices. Once she found the pasta she placed it on the counter. She opened the fridge and grabbed some tomatoes out of it. Kai put on a little pan of water on the furnace and began cleaning the tomatoes. "Who taught you how to cook?" Abbie asked him, curiously. He laid the tomatoes on a chopping board and calmly said, "My father." He grabbed a sharp knife from the counter and began cutting the tomatoes. "Your father? I didn't suspect that," Abbie observed.

She met his father one time, and he seemed like he hated his son from top to toe. The stories Kai told about him definitely didn't help. "Whenever he cooked I bombarded him with questions on how he did it. He got so sick of me asking he decided to teach me how to cook," Kai said. "That's kinda sweet. It's like when my mom taught me how to play the flute because I kept asking her to play me a song," Abbie smiled.

"Yeah, that's quite similar," he said and kept cutting the tomatoes. Until he suddenly cut into his skin. Abbie immediately smelled the blood, but she tried to stay calm. "Doesn't that hurt? That seems like a deep cut?" Abbie asked through a clenched jaw. "Oh, this?" he asked and looked at the cut. It was, in fact, a deep cut, and blood kept gushing out of it. "It's nothing. I have had worse." He grabbed a bit of kitchen paper wrapped it around his finger, and continued cutting. She felt the veins form under her eyes and the teeth coming out of her mouth.

The smell of blood kept lingering around the room which was going to make Abbie lose her control. She covered her face with her hands. She didn't want him to see, but she was too late he already noticed it. "Are you okay?" Kai said while cutting the last tomato. "Yeah... just... just a bit... hungry," she stumbled over her words. It wasn't as if she was lying she was in fact hungry. Just not the kind of hungry one normally would suspect. "Hungry for blood?" he asked. She nodded and removed the hands from her face, which revealed her vampire's face. She couldn't hide it anymore.

"I'll get you a blood bag." As he began walking the bloody paper on his finger fell off, which made her lose control. All she could hear was his heart pumping blood, and all she could smell was his blood flowing out of his finger. He was saying something, but she couldn't focus anymore on what. It wasn't the first time she felt like this. It was similar to when she drained a boy from school right before Carrie found her. Just like she did then, she bit his neck and began drinking his blood. Kai seemed shocked by this because he didn't fight back. He could have easily siphoned her, but he didn't. "What... are you... do...ing," Kai asked while his vision became blurry. Abbie suddenly came back to earth and immediately stopped.

"Oh god. What have I done? I'm so sorry," she cried to Kai, who had collapsed on the kitchen floor. He was covered in blood and held his hand to his neck to stop the bleeding. She had never in her life felt this bad. "I'm so sorry," she kept crying to him. She bit her wrist and fed him her blood. Abbie felt worse than when she killed Brian. Although, the difference was that that one she hated with all her gut and this one she didn't. Abbie felt like a monster, again, but this time it was true.

If only she could just stop having emotions life would be so much easier, like switching a button. She kept sobbing until, out of nowhere, she stopped.

--*-*-*- Editor's note -*-*-*--

Thank you so much for reading chapter nineteen! I hope you enjoyed it. As usual, don't forget to point out any grammar or spelling mistakes. You can also point it out if a storyline or story doesn't make sense. What did you think of this chapter? Do you think Abbie really switched the button?

Would you enjoy a bonus chapter on Abbie's past? For example, when she lived in Tampa or when she was a certain age? You can request that here! Or elsewhere, because I will read all your comments.