Burning

Being lost in your own hometown is a lot different than the kind of lost you feel when in a place you've never been before.

There's a sense of comfort that keeps you stable when lost in your own hometown because there's the certainty that if you keep driving, you'll eventually end up in a place that is familiar and safe. While in a place you've never been before, being lost feels suffocating and panic takes over because there's no familiar or known destination.

Hermione knew there would come a time her life without Ron would return to normal. Though she was still repairing the internal injuries that came with heartbreak, she was aware that she would return to a comfortable and stable life afterwards.

However, with Malfoy, it was a challenge. She couldn't read him like she had with many other people before; his body language and face expressions changed constantly. He would sound annoyed with her, but then engage in intellectually challenging conversations with her. He would ignore her all day, then enjoy making fun of her for being hungover. He would almost kiss her, and then act as he did when she visited him at St. Mungo's. He was on either end of the spectrum; never in between. These were the twists and turns of Draco Malfoy that Hermione couldn't map and it just became that much more intriguing to her.

It wasn't that she was hurt over the way he'd acted, no. Surprised, definitely, but not hurt. She understood his behaviour. She understood why he was so closed off and distanced himself from anyone who could possibly hurt him. She deducted it was a defence mechanism that he'd built during his time serving as a Death Eater. Hermione herself had built defence mechanisms after the War as well; diving head first into books to escape reality and holding onto a dead-end relationship being some of them.

Breaking down Malfoy's walls again became something she prioritized, something she was determined to do whether he wanted her to or not. She knew there was an entirely different person underneath the broken mask of the former Death Eater, she could feel it with everything she was.

It was a Monday once again, the Ministry was vibrating with the mumbles and whispers of the employees.

The Law she'd been preparing for two years was almost complete and ready to present, and she couldn't be more proud of herself. Out of winning the War, fighting Dragons, Trolls, Death Eaters, and Voldemort himself, building this Law is what she is most proud of.

She looked at her stacks of notes and organized them into files, a giddiness filling her. Two years of hard work, determination, and dedication is what got her here, where she's dreamt of being. While it's not nearly as big as setting all Elves free, this was definitely a step in the right direction. More independence for Elves is all she wished to come out of this.

While it seemed like the entire universe was against her, she felt nothing but pride. This was the best she'd felt in weeks, no longer drowning in sorrow or guilt. She strutted through the halls of the Ministry toward Kingsley's office with her head held high.

Knocking thrice, she waited until Kingsley invited her in. The door opened and yet another Slytherin walked through. The dark-haired witch scoffed at the sight of Hermione.

"Ms. Greengrass." She addressed her rather professionally without any disgust, as she was surprised to see Astoria Greengrass at all in the Ministry of Magic on a Monday afternoon.

Hermione watched her strut off toward the floo's before she focused back on Kingsley. "Sir," confused and flabbergasted about who she had just faced, she continued, "I was coming to talk about a court date for my new law proposition."

He nodded as he offered her a chair before his desk. "I thought you would be coming to me soon. You've seemed to make great progress by your lonesome, I'm very impressed. Though, you are the brightest witch of your age, so I'm not too surprised."