Pilot: S1; Ep1 Pt3

The Records Room

3rd Person POV:

Jake lets out a frustrated sigh as he turns to face the Sarge, Amy, and (Y/N). He glances around for a spot to put a file, gives up, and scoffs, "Is he seriously assigning me to the records room? I mean, why do we even have a records room? Computer's been invented, right? I didn't dream it?" Amy bites back a laugh and (Y/N) grimaces.

"You're lucky, man. I wish I could get assigned here full-time." Sarge complains to Jake, "You could not be farther from the action." Jake rolls his eyes.

"Sarge, you know me. I have more arrests than anyone-" Jake begins to reason, however, he's cut of by (Y/N) clearing her throat and giving him a knowing look, "I have more arrests than anyone, excluding (Y/N). Will you please tell the captain how dumb it is to lock his second best," he says, glancing at (Y/N), "detective in a file cabinet?"

"You're wrong about Holt. That man has forgotten more about being a cop than you will ever know. In 1981, he caught the Disco Strangler." (Y/N) stares at Terry wide eyed.

"The disco strangler?! Holy shit... that was like the coolest case ever! I can't believe that was Captain Holt!" (Y/N) exclaims, while Jake just lets out a defeated 'wow'.

"That's right. The man is the real deal. You need to listen to him." Terry tells him sternly. Jake shamefully nods his head and Terry leaves.

Amy smirks at Jake, "Gonna be hard to win our bet when you're on the bench, Peralta."

"I'll take his place then." (Y/N) says smirking at Amy, "I kinda wanted to be part of the bet anyway." Amy shakes her head.

"Absolutely not, (Y/N). Plus, I started a new category for him. 'Murderers we let go'." She sneers, holding up a notebook with their points. Jake just looks at the notebook defeated, (Y/N) just looks at him sympathetically, "And look at that! You're winning."

"Oh, fuck off, Amy." (Y/N) sighs in annoyance, Amy just continues smiling victoriously, determined to not let (Y/N) ruin her mood.

"Have fun with your files, Peralta." She says, still smirking, before walking out of the records room. Jake huffs and continues glaring daggers at Amy's retreating figure.

"Yeah, you know what, I will have fun with my files!" He storms after her towards the big grate door. "Have fun with your face!" He yells slamming the door closed behind her, watching it swing back open, "Slam! That was a slam!" He grimaces and turning to (Y/N).

"Look, Jake, it's okay. You made a mistake, we all do. But, the reason the captain is so upset with you is because of your constant refusal to follow his orders." (Y/N) says, looking at him knowingly, like a mother scolding a child, "You're being unnecessarily stubborn, you can fix this. However, right now the best thing to do is follow the captains orders." He stares back at her, defeat evident on his features. (Y/N) opens her arms and welcomes Jake to a hug, "Now, come here." Jake drops his head and saunters over to her, letting her wrap him in a warm hug. She quickly lets go and grabs his shoulders, "Now, put on your big boy pants and fix your damn mistake." Without another word, she leaves the room.

He knows shes right and he knows what he needs to do.

~~Time Skip~~

Holt walks into the records room, knocking on the door frame. Jake looks up, still wearing the same bored and depressed expression as before, "Hey, captain."

"So, you found something?" Holt begins, however, he changes the topic when he notices Jake's clothing, "Hey, I like the tie."

When Holt mentions this, Jake's mood quickly shifts and he wears a smug grin, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Anyway, I think I got something good here. Turns out the name 'Ratko' is made up, but I did some digging through these files- one of which I literally found in a spider web- and it turns out there were a bunch of references to a Serbian thug, street names 'the rat' and 'the butcher'. Who's known to hangout at a storage unit near Boerum Park, which had red soil, hence, the muddy red footprint on Morgenthau's counter." Holt nods at him impressed.