3 ─── needle of pain

𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘪 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘯𝘢 𝘣𝘦 𝘮𝘰𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘯 𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘪 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘨𝘰𝘵 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘢 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘨𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶(idk you yet, alexander 23)

𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘪 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘨𝘰𝘵 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘢 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘨𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶
(idk you yet, alexander 23)

   THE AIR AROUND Marigold's room is suddenly as cold as the winter air in Wellsbury. She knows that tone of voice from her father. It's usually followed by a slap to her face. She inhales and exhales before opening the door. Her father bursts into her room, pushing his daughter to a side.

"What do you think you're doing?" his voice is cold and harsh.

Marigold's father's hands comes in contact with her cheeks before she could even think of answering. She looks down to where Marcus is hiding under bed. She knows that he heard that loud and clear. Her trembling hands reach up to touch her numb cheeks. It usually doesn't hurt when he hits her, as if she's succumbed to the pain of it but knowing that there is someone in the room with her while this is going on, hurts more than the actual slap.

"Dad, I don't know what you're talking about," she manages to utter out, getting the courage to meet his eyes. "I just came home a few minutes ago."

"Marcus Baker came around to ask where you were. I didn't raise you to fool around with that boy," he rages, his eyes completely full of anger and disgust. "And what do you mean you came only a few minutes ago? Where were you this whole time? It's past six!"

Marigold answers her dad honestly about being at Joe's café. Eugene used to have a good relationship with everyone in the small town; especially with Joe. The death of Kian stirred something repulsive in him, making him shun everyone out, keeping himself locked up at home. It never used to matter to her father that Marigold and Kian would spend hours at Blue Farm Café because he trusted Joe to keep an eye out on the Moon twins. When everything changed after Kian, Marigold expected her father to stop her from going to Joe's cafe so often but he never said anything about it. That was the only place of freedom he allowed her to go to. Her father just scoffs before walking back towards her door.

"If I find out you've been messing around with the tool Baker's boy, you're gonna wish you died along with your brother," her father almost threatens, exiting her room, slamming her door behind him in acrimony.

Marigold is quick to lock the door. Her back leans against the frame, waiting for Marcus to re-emerge from under the bed which he does. He brushes dust off of him and glances at the girl against the door.

"Goldie—," he begins, pacing to where she's standing to look at her properly. "Goldie, you ne—"

   "Get out."

   Marcus takes no note of what she says, holding her cheeks in her hands. His fingers graze against the metals on her ear, eyes scanning every inch of her face. His hands are warmer than Marigold was expecting, a different type of feeling. She almost leans against his touch but instead she aggressively shakes him off and stalks to her bed.