8 ─── talk of agony

𝘪 𝘤𝘢𝘯'𝘵 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘧𝘦𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘩𝘶𝘳𝘵𝘴 𝘵𝘰𝘰 𝘮𝘶𝘤𝘩 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦(lost, ollie)

𝘩𝘶𝘳𝘵𝘴 𝘵𝘰𝘰 𝘮𝘶𝘤𝘩 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦
(lost, ollie)

MARIGOLD CANNOT COMPREHEND what Marcus Baker just said to her. She looks at him and in that split second, she sees. She sees the way he looks at her; the same look he once had when he was talking to Kian. It's the same face. Why did she never play close attention to it before?

   "Is that why you suddenly started to talk to me?" Marigold's head is spiralling, trying to piece together all those days that she spent with Marcus. "Because I reminded you of my brother?"

Marcus doesn't say anything which Marigold takes as being a 'yes'. It's not hurt that Marigold is feeling; it's betrayal. For once, she allowed herself to talk to someone and enjoy their company but it was all lies. Marcus never wanted to be her friend.

"Why did I never question why you were suddenly talking to me?" Marigold asks herself out of frustration. "That first night that you came through the window, why? Why did you come?"

"To check up on you, Goldie. I swear, I came to check up on you," Marcus answers quickly, looking anywhere but at Marigold.

"Check up on me? If you really wanted to check up on me, you would've made the effort to do that after Kian's death but no, you chose to check up on me a whole year later," Marigold points out, her heart suddenly feeling heavier than it ever did before. "Answer me honestly, Baker, you talked me on that first day of school because you needed a reminder that a part of Kian is always gonna be here, didn't you?"

Marcus doesn't disagree. He just stands up from the bed and walks to the window. Marigold is scared that he's just going to leave her room without answering any of her questions. She'd rather be hurt by the truth than not receive any answers.

"All those times in the skate park where we smoked weed and skated, were you really hanging out with me or with the person who reminded you of the best friend you lost?" Marigold finally asks, after a long silence in the room. "I should've never asked you why you kissed me. I should've just gone about my day not wondering. I should have been blissfully ignorant."

"Goldie, I am so sorry," Marcus apologises, which pierces through the girl's heart in ways she couldn't fathom. "I can't deny anything because—because—"

"—because it's all true. You talked to me because I reminded you of Kian. You stayed because I reminded you of Kian and you kissed me because I reminded you of Kian," Marigold sputters out, tears pooling at her eyes, her visions glassy and cold. "Was there ever a moment where you were with me for me?"