4 ─── smoke of ease

𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘪 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘳𝘶𝘯𝘯𝘪𝘯' 𝘧𝘢𝘳 𝘢𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘸𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘪 𝘳𝘶𝘯 𝘰𝘧𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘥𝘢𝘺?(runaway, aurora)

𝘸𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘪 𝘳𝘶𝘯 𝘰𝘧𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘥𝘢𝘺?
(runaway, aurora)

   MARCUS BAKER DIDN'T even attempt to talk to Marigold after the incident in her room. A week passed and her life was as normal as it could get. She did her best to stay away from her father's line of sight but there were days when he would just get angry at nothing in particular and Marigold just happened to be somewhere near for him to lash out on.

She worked at Joe's café every day after school for four hours, making her way back home just a little after seven. The house would be in complete silence when she walks in; her father in his study and her mother in her brother's room. There wasn't much family bonding anymore. Everyone just did their own thing and only saw each other at breakfast or dinner.

   Marcus climbing into her window reminded her of the ladder against the wall just a little to the left of her balcony. She used to sneak out at night all the time before with Kian. They would have secret rendezvous at the Wellsbury skate park. Kian was as good with a skateboard as he was with his studies. Marigold had tried to learn from him but she could never manage it.

The ladder was now covered in overgrown vines of sorts but that didn't stop her from grabbing the skateboard under her bed and a rolled up joint and sneak out the room in the middle of the night.

It's cold when she slips out into the dark, her cardigan wrapped tightly around her body, her phone's flashlight navigating the way. She carefully closes the window shut before beginning to make her way down the wooden steps. She lands with a soft thud on the grass, the skateboard clutched tightly in her arms.

   The nearest skate part is a few minutes of walk away. The Moon family live on the end of a quiet street. Marigold tucks her phone into her cardigan pocket, placing the skateboard on the ground. She's not a good skateboarder but she tries her best. She gets atop the surface, finding the perfect balance so she doesn't fall and pushes off.

   She uses her leg to try and keep the momentum but she trips and falls, her hands scraping against the concrete of the ground. She winces in pain but it soon disappears. She checks her palm, now little scrapes of blood covering them. She shakes her head to herself, bemused that she really thought she would just suddenly get the hang of skating.

   She picks up the skateboard and begins the walk to the park instead. The night wind is cold, sending chills down every nerve of Marigold's body. The days are finally starting to feel like it's autumn. The leaves have slowly begun to change colour, the branches are beginning to look empty, the wind has been getting colder and colder with each passing day.

"Goldie?"

   Marigold looks around for Marcus. He is the only one in this wretched town that calls her that, even though she has told him multiple times to stop. He is walking down his driveway also with a skateboard in hand.