Marlowe

Marlowe's POV

----------------

Marlowe stared out the window of his mother's truck. His fingers drummed on the armrest in thought, puzzling his mother. "Mar, something wrong?" Her voice had an unnecessary amount of worry in it and Marlowe was annoyed.

"Mom, I'm fine."

"Baby, no you ain't," she said matter-of-factly. "You always talk to me while were driving home." She pauses and studies him for as long as she can before having to put her eyes back on the road. "It's Meulin, ain't it?"

Marlowe snapped to attention. "What? Is it that obvious?" He sighs. "Yes, mama, 'course it is. She got this new friend, who she described as 'a cute mute boy'. See? He's already got a one up cause 'a disability." He shook his head and laughed. "Now doesn't that sound funny?"

Mrs. Martha Dixon was quiet until the finally turned on to their street. She then spoke. "First, how long has she known him? I mean, it hardly matters. We both know what a hopeless romantic Meulin is."

Marlowe sighed and nodded, but answered anyway. "Like, two days. Its crazy. And I was just about to tell her! I learned the signs for it and everything! I've known her longer anyway, this is so unfair!" His face was red and he felt like crying.

His mother patted his knee. "I know darlin'. But, you know what you gotta do, right?"

And Marlowe did. He was going to have to tell her.