Chapter Eight

It's awkward, but not really uncomfortably so. It's just that Damon and Cassandra are strangers and she doesn't know what to say. So instead, she clutches her bag on her lap and keeps herself to herself as he drives through the town centre towards the school. She frowns as she thinks back over their interaction. The way he was just...there.

"So you just happened to be walking past my house?" She asks, he hums and nods.

"Yep," He answers and glances at her as she gives him a sceptical look.

"You're lying" She points out. He raises an eyebrow at her. She mirrors his expression, he snorts and turns back to the road.

"Fine" He offers. "I have heard so many wonderful things about your sister..." He tells her. "Was hoping to see what all the fuss was about....found you staring into your jeep as if it was some...Da Vinci code level puzzle...." She snorts and looks out the window again. "Think I'm lying?" He asks.

"Not entirely" She answers. "It was partly true...." She shrugs a little, she can't figure out which part, but she can guess, she knows that her engine is a puzzle to her, which would imply he was lying about heading about Elena or wanting to see her. "I'm guessing you just moved here, seen as I'd never seen either of you around before this week?" She asks him, he nods.

"Yep, but separately" He offers. "We don't really get along...." He admits.

"Why not?" She asks, turning to face him again, now interested, this might be dirt on Stefan that he wouldn't tell Elena. Something juicy.

"Ah, that is a very long story" He answers with a sly smirk. "And he's your classmate, it would be unethical for me to talk behind his back...."

"As if you care" She counters, he looks at her, surprised. "It's all over your face. You're just waiting for the opportunity to throw him under the bus...." She then snorts and shakes her head. "You don't have to tell me" She offers and looks out the window. "I'm sure it will come out eventually" Damon watches her, whilst looking back and forth to the road. No one has ever been that quick to call him out in over a century. It was instant. And she didn't hesitate. Spunky.

...........

In history class, Elena and Stefan look at each other while Tanner teaches at the front of the class. With it being a special town event day, he is teaching about said event. That being some comet that is going to be passing over the town.

"Originally discovered nearly 5 centuries ago, it hasn't been over Mystic Falls in over 145 years." Tanner looks at the door as it opens and Cassandra walks in. He raises an eyebrow at her.

"Sorry" She offers. "Car broke down, had to wait for a ride" She then scampers across to her seat. Elena raising an eyebrow at her in question, Cassandra just shakes her head back at her. Tanner then clears his throat at Elena who looks at him.

"Now, the comet will be its brightest right after dusk during tomorrow's celebration" Tanner continues as Cassandra leans back in her seat. There isn't enough time for her to get comfortable enough and invested in the subject matter. The bell is literally going to ring in minutes. She just didn't want to sit out there in the corridor on her own. She draws her fingers over the tabletop. Her mind flickering back to Damon. He's a little intense. Creepy. In the same way that Stefan is. There is something dark and intense about the both of them. Something that crawls down her spine. Like a series of warning bells she should be listening to.

........

Cassandra sits with Bonnie on a bench out the front of the school. Cassandra copying over Bonnie's notes from their history class. She actually missed an assignment hand out. Elena went off with Stefan after class so Cassandra kind of missed out on seeing her sister. She's really hoping that's not going to become a thing. Elena ditching her friends and family for some guy.

"I'm confused" Cassandra admits as Caroline joins them, sitting next to Cassandra.

"About what?" Caroline asks her as she pulls out her own books.

"Are you psychic or clairvoyant?" Cassandra counters to Bonnie who shrugs a little.

"Technically, Grams says I'm a witch. My ancestors were these really cool Salem witch chicks or something. Grams tried to explain it all, but she was looped on the liquor so I kinda tuned out. Crazy family, yes. Witches? I don't think so" Bonnie offers with a disbelieving shrug.

"Yeah, well, feel free to conjure up the name and number of that guy from last night." Caroline teases and nudges Cassandra who frowns and shoots her a look. She has no idea what she is talking about.

"I didn't see him, you did" Bonnie defends. "Why didn't you just talk to him?"

"I don't know. I was drunk." Caroline admits and then turns to Cassandra. "And you...You disappeared early"

"Not really" Cassandra argues. "I left after it became all about Vicki"

"She got attacked, Cas" Bonnie reminds her.

"Yeah, and it is sad she almost died, I, of course, don't want that....but she's still a nasty, boyfriend stealing slut so..." Cassandra stops them. Bonnie looks down and bites her lip. Caroline just chuckles outright. "I'm not going to hold her hand and wish her the best"

"Well, no" Bonnie agrees. "But maybe tone down the slut-shaming whilst she is still in the hospital" Cassandra pulls a face but nods. That's fair. She can wait a day or two.