Chapter Sixty

Elena and Stefan are gathered in her bedroom, Looking through the copied pages of the journal in Elena's room which Stefan took from Alaric. Lying to Damon about it all. Betraying him.

"Here's a reference that he wrote about Emily" Elena states and then reads aloud from the page. "The Fell family believed it should be I, not them, who protected the witch's spellbook. But I feared she would haunt me from the hereafter. They mocked my fear, but it was Giuseppe Salvatore who.." Elena stops and looks at Stefan. "Is that your father?" Elena asks as Stefan sits next to Elena.

"Yeah," Stefan answers and takes the pages from Elena and continues to read aloud. "It was Giuseppe Salvatore who removed my fear. He told me he would protect the secret of the spellbook. He said he would carry it to his grave." Stefan looks up from the pages, his brow furrowed.

.......

Sat in the hall against the wall is Cassandra who smirks a little and pulls out her cell phone to text Damon. Teach them to leave her out of plans. To keep things from her. Teach them to betray people like this. Damon is his brother and Stefan has gone behind his back. She stands and creeps away from the door. Turns out she might be a bit more spiteful than she originally thought she was. Maybe she is just sick of being the other twin. Her whole childhood is filled with things that Elena wanted to do. Cassandra was timid with a smart tongue. Now she's not so timid, still with a smart tongue. Now she's growing and evolving into her own person away from Elena. And that's not a bad thing. She slips into her bedroom and closes the door behind her. They can deal with their drama for the rest of the night, she is now officially out. Elena doesn't seem to want her involved anyway. She told Damon what he wanted to know. She has no part.

.........

Cassandra sets her headphones in her ears as she sits on her bed, a magazine opened in her lap. She gets a response from Damon, just a simple, 'got the book', which means she gets a win under her belt, even if it technically isn't her win. But she helped. A little. Elena knocks on the open door frame when she returns from the cemetery. Cassandra looks at her but doesn't make any move to remove her headphones. She just glares at Elena who gives her an apologetic look back, knowing she has upset her sister by leaving her out. They've done everything together for as long as they can remember, but with Stefan in her life, Elena knows she's been neglecting her bond with Cassandra. Cassandra holds up her hand and curs her fingers, using her powers to close the bedroom door in Elena's face. She's not in the mood to deal with her tonight. She's too upset. She's not sure she's upset actually, hurt, angry, yes, but...upset, she's not sure. Maybe she is just used to this. She pulls out her headphones and sets her magazine down before she stands. She doesn't want to be here. She opens the window with her powers and then climbs out, lowering herself to the ground, hands held out at her side using her red mist to safely set herself down. She turns and motions with her fingers, closing the window again before she walks away.

..........

The sun is rising when Cassandra heads back home, pulling her cell phone out of her pocket. She has missed calls from Stefan which is weird. A few texts asking where she is. But she ignores them and slides her phone away as she heads back home. She's cold now and would like to have a warm shower. She didn't even realise that she'd walked for as long as she had. She has to get ready for school. She also figures she should say something to Elena. Try and clear the air. Otherwise living with her is going to be awkward. She lets herself into the house through the back door, tucking her phone away into her pocket.

..............

Cassandra rolls her eyes as she pulls her hair up into a ponytail. Her phone is ringing, yet again. It hasn't really stopped since she got back and it is irritating the hell out of her. She knows who it is as well. It's the same person that's been bothering her all night. Stefan. The phone stops ringing and she lets out a relieved breath before it rings again. She throws her head back and groans before grabbing it from her dresser.

"Will you stop calling me" She scolds as she picks up the phone. "You would think you would give up after the first few ignores"

"Where are you?" Stefan asks.

"At home" She answers. "Getting ready for school, not that it's any of your business"

"So you're okay?" He counters, a little bit of relief in his voice. He's honestly thought she, along with Elena, had been taken the night before. When Anna had been in the house. After Elena had been fed vampire blood by Damon. When he checked on Cassandra and found her room empty, even after he knew she had been in the house, yeah, it added to his panic. Damon is going to be unpredictable with Stefan's backhanded betrayal but add in a missing Cassandra and Stefan has no idea what he would have done. Stefan knows his brother well enough to read into this 'friendship'.

"Of course I'm okay, why the hell wouldn't I be?" She asks as she grabs her bag from her bed. He is then silent. She cocks her head and sighs. "What she's done now?" She asks him, already sensing that something must have happened, because there is no way he would be calling her to make sure she is okay unless Elena has done something.

"She's just worried about you" Stefan lies. "Thought you might be more willing to talk to me than her right now" Cassandra raises an eyebrow and scoffs.

"Yeah, right...." She counters. "Look I have to go, tell her to put on her big girl panties and talk to me herself" She then hangs up, not wanting to talk to him anymore. She doesn't even get why she hates him so much. It's clearly not the vampire thing, otherwise, she would feel the same way about Damon but she doesn't. There is just something about Stefan that irritates her.

Notes:

I have a few plot things that happen that I am not sure what to do with regarding Damon's relationship with Cassandra. Just let me know if you still want these things to happen, and if not then ideas on how to work around it would be very much appreciated. 

- Andie Star

- Rebekah 

- Rebekah and Sage

- Rose

- Damon killing Jeremy. 

- Sire Bond (Elena)