Chapter Seventy-Five

Tyler walks towards Cassandra where she waits for him, pulling on her jacket. She sighs, folding her arms over her chest. She's not happy about being stuck with him for a ride to the Boarding House, because apparently when someone calls Katherine that means they all have to change their plans. She offered that she would just go home but oh no, no can't leave yet. Caroline wants them all together. And she knows why Caroline is doing this. She doesn't like it, but she knows.

"You don't have to look so bummed" He offers when he reaches her. "I get it" She looks at him, noting something in his tone. "And I really am sorry, for what it's worth" He shrugs but he sounds more sincere now, something more honest in his tone. "I didn't deserve you, and I think I've known that for a long time" She turns to face him with a small frown. "I knew that we were only together because Matt and Elena were together." He gives her a small smile. "And it was only a matter of time before you realised you could do a hell of a lot better than me....but I miss you. I miss you as my friend" They were all friends once. And her relationship with Tyler ruined that. She lost Tyler not just as her boyfriend but as her friend too.

"And Vicki?" She asks. He shrugs.

"I was drunk" He mumbles. "We'd fought" He offers. "About" He looks down and then motions at her. "That skirt" She nods, she remembers that fight. He didn't like her going to parties with her legs out. He didn't think she should be wearing anything that short. He was jealous of the attention she got from other guys, and it is clear that his self-doubt and self-consciousness was part of that. "You went out in it anyway, as you should have...." He adds and shrugs. "They were all looking at you, the way that I was meant to look at you, so I got drunk....and Vicki was there. To be honest, it could have been anyone that night...." She brushes her tongue over her teeth and he looks away.

"So it's my fault for wearing this skirt....?" He shakes his head.

"I shouldn't have argued with you" He stops her. "I was...." He sighs. "I always knew I would lose you to someone better. And I kept trying to keep you close, to...not let other guys see how great you were....because then you'd see how terrible I was" She looks away from him and brushes her hand over her cheek to wipe away a tear. "I hate myself for what I did to you, Cassie" He whispers and she actually believes that he means that.

..................

Tyler pulls up behind Caroline and Matt as they all park up outside of the Salvatore Boarding House. Cassandra sighs and goes to climb out of the car, Tyler stops her with a hand on her arm.

"Can we just talk for a bit?" He asks her, she glances at him and then nods. He taps his hands on the wheel trying to come up with something to say to her that's not going to sound stupid or pushy or insensitive. "Oh...I heard about your jeep" Tyler offers as he cuts the engine. "I know how much it meant to you" She hums and nods. "Can they fix it?"

"Nope," She answers and looks at him. "It's beyond saving..."

"Any ideas on a new one?"

"I don't know" She admits. "It's mom's and...I don't want to replace it" She whispers and runs her fingers through her hair. Realises that actually isn't all about the jeep. It's probably more to do with the fact she's found out about her adoption and her conflicted feelings on that. The jeep is just that manifesting.

...........

Outside, Caroline and Elena watch Tyler and Cassandra talking to one another, and not appearing hostile with one another. Something shifted between them. Elena knows that Cassandra will never fully forgive him for what he did, and they will never be a couple again, she knows that much. But friends. Cassandra might push to friends.

"At least they're talking again" Caroline points out.

"You know she's not going to forgive you for this for a very long time, right?" Elena asks her, Caroline shrugs.

"I know Bonnie isn't here, but it's been a long time since all of us hung out together" Caroline reminds her. "She doesn't need to forgive him to be his friend. And it's Cas, she hands out second chances out like candy....he deserves one too" Elena sighs but shrugs. She's kind of right there. Tyler made a mistake, he screwed up, but Cassandra does have a habit of giving out second chances to the people she cares about.

.............

Inside the Boarding House, Cassandra and Tyler trail behind as Caroline, Matt, Stefan and Elena enter the living room. This place still gives Cassandra the creeps. Tyler pulls a face and glances around.

"Creepy" He comments to himself.

"This is much better than watching Damon visit cougar town" Caroline comments and then suddenly looks at Matt. "No offence" She offers.

"Don't remind me" Matt mumbles and turns to Stefan. "Man I've always wanted to see what it looks like in this place" Matt admits as he looks around.

"Yeah, I guess it's a bit much" Stefan offers.

"Yeah, my entire house could fit in here. like twice" Matt states, amazed.

"Do you guys want to watch a movie or something?" Elena asks as Matt moves to a collection of miniature cars in a case against the wall.

"Whoa; these are great!" Matt points out.

"This is uh...a little hobby of mine." Stefan offers.

"I did the entire Mustang series when I was 9" Matt admits. Stefan looks at him surprised.

"You like cars?"

"That's an understatement" Matt offers.

"Come with me," Stefan tells them, a little bubble of excitement building in him.