Chapter Twenty-One

Stefan and Elena are still dancing together on the dance floor. Close by Damon and Caroline dance together, Damon wanting to stay close enough to listen in on their conversation.

"I hope Damon didn't drive you too crazy," Stefan tells Elena.

"No, actually, he was on good behaviour. He even apologized and explained why he is the way he is. And it all goes back to Katherine" Elena offers.

"Hmm."

"So tell me about her. What happened?" Elena asks him.

"It's not something I like to talk about."

"I get that. I do. I just want you to know that you can. I mean, I burden you with all of my drama, and I want you to do the same"

"I know. Thank you"

"The truth is, Stefan...I don't really know that much about you, and I'd really love it if you would open up to me" Elena admits as they stop dancing.

"Damon said something, didn't he?" Stefan asks. "He likes to play games and cause trouble, Elena"

"This isn't about Damon, it's about me trying to get to know you. Look, you're the mystery guy, and I like that. But with mystery comes secrets, and this thing with Katherine"

"Let it go. I don't want to talk about it"

"Well, then, say something about yourself. Anything. Otherwise, I'm left with nothing but what other people tell me"

"Don't you see what Damon has done here? He's trying to get you to turn against me"

"Well, then I guess it's working," Elena tells him and then walks away. Damon and Stefan share a look, Damon smirks a little.

.........

Cassandra sits with Elena in a quiet room of the house with a tub of ice cream between them. Elena told Cassandra about her fight with Stefan, and to be fair, it's not surprising Elena felt that way about him. Cassandra did point out that they know nothing about the two brothers. But she still feels bad.

"This is my fault." Cassandra offers. "I should never have said anything...."

"It's not your fault" Elena stops her. "I just—I feel terrible because I said that I wouldn't get in the middle of it, and then that's exactly what I did. I got all snotty"

"I'm still sorry" Cassandra offers. "I just..." She lets out a breath. "We don't know them, either of them, and you fell into a relationship with Stefan very fast...within 48 hours. Without knowing anything about him...."

"I'd known Matt forever" Elena reminds her. "So I wanted something different, that's why we broke up, we wanted different things....and...yeah, maybe it was about Stefan being the opposite of Matt..." Elena then shakes her head. "Enough about us" She argues as she hands the ice cream back to Cassandra. "You and Damon seem cosy" Elena points out, Cassandra nods and hums around her spoon before pulling to from her lips.

"He kissed me" She admits, Elena raises an eyebrow at her.

"When?"

"Earlier" Cassandra answers, keeping out the fact that he had been in the house, she doesn't know what she is hiding that fact from her sister.

"Well? What was it like?"

"I don't know, it was a kiss...." Cassandra offers, Elena gives her a look that implies that she in no way believes Cassandra. "There was this feeling...in my gut..." Cassandra lets out a breath. "Tyler never kissed me like that" Elena smiles at her. "And I know he and Stefan have this thing and whatever.....and I'm not saying I want a relationship, I don't...but maybe it doesn't have to be about that"