Chapter 8: Time

Ana's P.O.V

This is it. Today is the day that can make or break my life forever. Today I'm sixteen years old. Today I might find my mate which can be exciting or nerve recking. Today I might meet my wolf which is extremely exciting. Today I might also die which is not so exciting.

That is what I say to myself as I grip the bathroom sink and stare into my reflection. I feel as though I'm about to pass out or have a heart attack but I force myself to be calm. I take one last look in the mirror before I get dressed. It usually only takes me about five minutes to find something to wear but today I'm having a lot of difficultly. I want my mate to like me for me and not just my looks but at the same time I want to make a good first impression. I finally settle on a black pair of skinny jeans, my favorite t-shirt and my converses.

I just added a little makeup when my mom comes in. "Hey honey, happy birthday," she says.

"Thanks mom," I reply giving her a hug.

"Here, I got something for you. I know how important today is for you and I thought this might give you some luck." She hands me a diamond necklace.

"No I can't take this mom this is the necklace dad gave you when he found out you were his mate. I know how much it means to you." My dad died when I was only a year old due to brain cancer.

"He'd want you to have it. Besides you need it more than I do."

"Thank you so much mom," I say finally accepting the gift.

"You're welcome honey," she replies clasping both my hands in hers.

"I'm so nervous mom. What if he doesn't like me. What if he doesn't get to me in time and I don't make it. What if he's abusive. Who wants to live the rest of there lives with an abusive mate?!"

"Honey relax. Nine times out of ten your mate is someone you already met. Mates are drawn to each other from birth they just don't know it yet. Who do you think your mate is."

The first name that pops into my head is Liam, but that can't be right he hasn't spoken to me for 6 years.

I shake my head and think of a person I've been close to for years.
"It has to be Brian," I say but it feels wrong on my lips.

Brian has been my best friend for years. When I would get upset about Liam, Brian would always be there to let me vent or cry or both. We dated for six months in freshman year but we decided that we were better off just friends.

"Brian seems like a nice kid, but I always thought that you had more of a connection with Liam," my mom says causally.

Her statement shocks me Liam is a lot older than me. I never thought that my mother would support a relationship with him."But he's like thirty," I exclaim.

Mom laughs."Didn't I ever tell you honey that age is only a number. When I met your father he was five years older than me. Besides Liam definitely doesn't look it, if you know what I mean," she wiggles her eyebrows playfully.

"Eww, gross mom," I screech and nudge her shoulder.

"I haven't even talked to him since I was eight."

"Yeah I always wondered why. You were always so happy around him. I remember how you used to pout when ever he couldn't make it to your little play dates. You should have seen the way he used to look at you. Like he wanted to protect you from the world, like you were the sun."

Her words bring back unwanted memories and I can feel tears spring to my eyes, but I push them down. "I don't wanna talk about it," I say which is only half the truth. I don't even know why myself.

Soon after my pep talk with mom I decide that it is time to head out for school. Walking on the bus I see a familiar face smiling up at me from the back row. I smile walking over to him. There are a million butterflies in my stomach and my palms are sweaty. Here goes nothing.

"Hey Brian!"

I wrap my arms around his shoulders and wait for it, wait for it ....nothing. I release him with a big sigh and slump into my seat beside him. I was really hoping that Brian was my mate. Brian is safe, predictable even but in a good way. I alway know what to expect from him and I find comfort in that fact.

"Happy Birthday," he said but I can tell that he senses something's up

"Thanks," I reply.

This is one of those times were I wished that Brian were a werewolf.
Then I wouldn't have to keep all these secrets from him. I just hope that this doesn't affect our friendship.

The day passes without me finding my mate and I'm starting to get really nerves. What if I don't find him in time?!

Liam's P.OV

I woke up today like I have the past six years, empty. I did my usually routine of eating, going to work, watching Ana then once I'm positive she's okay I go back home and drown in my own self pity, until I fell asleep. I know that sounds kinda creepy, but I have to make sure she's okay. I'm glad that that Brian kid is there for her when I can't be.

Then at about 12:15 something unexpected happened. James actually spoke to me. I almost fall out of my bed from the unexpectedness of it. I'm so surprised in fact I almost don't catch what he said."It's time."

That's all he said, but that's all I needed to hear. I run out of my house bare foot and shirtless in search of my mate.