Seven

Edward missed a week of school, too preoccupied on the thought of blood

Edward missed a week of school, too preoccupied on the thought of blood. So while Wendy sat in the music room at lunch it was Rosalie who kept the girl company.

Edward almost slipped on just the thought of blood.

He asked himself if he'd have control incase the matter came up around him. A bloody nose was common, but not that common. He figured a week in Alaska would help.

It did.

Upon his return Wendy was sitting on a park bench reading a book, her hair was in a ponytail with a red ribbon wrapped around it. She had on a red and black hoodie, black pants and bright red shoes he's never seen before.

"Hi."he said taking a seat across from her.

"Hello. How was your trip?" She asked, Rosalie having said he took a little trip to visit family, who was deathly sick.

"It was nice." He nodded pulling his backpack off and opened it. "I got you something."

Wendy looked up from her book. "Edward, you really didn't have to get me anything."

"I know. And before you say something, it was only like ten dollars, plus I saw it and knew you'd love it." He said with a captivating smirk.

"But I'd still feel bad that I didn't get you anything." She hummed out as she placed her book down.

"Consider it a late birthday gift." He argued, to which she accepted.

"Fine. If you insist." She smiled.

Edward took out a box, on it, it had a picture of an oyster with different colored pearls and a clear little plastic window that shows a cheap velvet holder with a thing gold chain and a needle.

"What is this?" She asked as he handed it to her.

"Just open it." Edward smirked as the girl gave him a curious glance his way. Her smile was shy and enraptured as her dainty fingers opened the box.

He took in the way she struggled to open the little tin covered container. But he adored the small triumphant hum she let out as it scratched open.

"That smells terrible." Her laugh was the sound of Apollo's harp and the rain fall. Carefully taking its content out onto the table, carful not to spill the liquid.

He liked the way she bit the left side of her lower lip as she worked the little plastic wedge into the tiny crack of the bivalve mollusks. The way her nose scrunched up as she began to wiggle the wedge towards the middle.

"I think it's stuck." She said not being able to open or move the little thin plastic.

"Need some help?" Edward mused as she handed it to him, giving him a soft thank you.

With his strength he did it in an easy swoop.  Given it back to Wendy so she can have the pleasure of opening it fully herself. He wanted to see the wonder in her eyes.

He didn't.

She saw the disappointment in Edwards eyes when there wasn't a pearl at the top.  "You have to find it." She spoke as her finger gently pushed at the muscle that was inside. Inching her way up.

Edward leaned in to get a better look.

"Here, see that?" She said pointing to the little bulge, her baby pink painted nail scratching the tissue as she pushed a pearl out.

There he saw that look of awe in her eyes.

"Then we take the needle, and make a hole right away before the pearl hardens." Her lips parted just a little as she took the needle pushing it threw the pearl.

"Then we hook the chain." She said as she contiens to assembly her necklace. "And pull it threw."

Lifting it up for both of them to see.

"What color would you say that is?" Edward asked as he took the little card from the box. "Off white?"

"No. This is more like the pink cream colored one." Wendy said leaning over the table to look as well. Holding the pearl up to each color on the card.

"That looks like a peach color." He said placing the card next to the pearl.

"You're right. It's beautiful." Wendy pulled the pearl back with a smile, the slightest of blushes dusted over her cheeks as she moved to sit on the table. "Do you mind!"

She handed Edward the chain so he can put it around her neck. With one hand she moved her hair away. Edward carefully unclamped the latch of the chain as he moved his arms around her neck.

He was so close to her skin the smell was euphoric. Venom pooling into his mouth, as he could see the steady beat of her warm blood pump threw her jugular.

He just had to touch it.

Dropping his pinky finger to brush against it as he brought each of her necklace pieces together. The touch sent a shiver down her back. It was cold and soft, her skin began to goose flesh.

"What does the color mean?" She asked once she the chill of his hands pull away. Turning back to look at him as she took a seat where she once was.

"Umm." He uttered as he continued to swallow the venom. "Health." He reassured her.

Her smile was sad but genuine. "It's perfect. Thank you. I absolutely love it Edward."