When Taking a Picture of Him Makes Him Real

[~~~Posted Mar. 12, '21]

[A/N Ok, things are gonna start getting a little more intense, so I'll stay quiet with the authors notes for a bit so it doesn't interrupt the flow. But keep letting me know what you think in the comments, and I'll do my very best to reply!! Hope you enjoy & thanks for reading this far :) ]

. . * * * * . . . . . .
. . . . * * * * . . . .
. . . . . . * * * * . .

Lilly was still refusing to take Intro Psych. Because the professor had called her up on stage on the first class, and "humiliated" her.

Yale gave its students about a month to decide if they wanted to take a class. Or "drop" it.

Kai racked her brains, trying to think of ways to convince Lilly not to give up. Lilly, you need this class for your career goals, Kai thought. But it never helped to sound like a lecturing mom.

"What if we sit in the back of the room?" Kai asked. "You'll never be singled out there!"

Lilly just pouted.

"Well—what about this. I'll keep taking the class," replied Kai. "And I'll take notes. So if you change your mind, you can join the class again—"

Lilly's pout didn't change. "I'll think about it," Lilly said.

Kai sighed. "OK, I'll be sitting in the back today. And I'll save you a seat. If you change your mind last minute, come find me!"

. . * * * * . . . . . .
. . . . * * * * . . . .
. . . . . . * * * * . .

This was how Kai found herself walking to class, alone. It was a brisk gray day. The sky looked ominous. She stopped at a food cart for a cup of coffee, then hurried on her way.

Entering the lecture hall, she squeezed past the mob of other students. She slid into a seat in the back, then put her coat on the seat next to her. Reserved for Lilly. My stubborn roommate

Out of the corner of her eye, a tall figure caught her attention.

It was Lukas. He was leaning against the doorway, engrossed in his phone.

Lukas... The student who seemed to exist on another plane entirely. Kai had noticed other students taking pictures of him. He just ignored them all.

Wait... that's an idea....pictures! I could send a picture of him to Lilly...

As enticement...

Just in case... it helps Lilly change her mind...

Trying to be subtle, Kai raised up her phone and clicked on her camera.

SNAP.

And then, Lukas suddenly glanced up. Straight toward Kai's phone.

His gaze was steady and clear.

Kai blushed and looked away. I'm the worst kind of spy, she thought. My attempts at espionage are complete garbage.

Humbled in her seat, she texted the photo to Lilly.

>>> Kai >>> This is what you're missing

. .. ...

>>> Lilly >>> Whatever. Like I said, he's not my crush! Just an idol

>>> Kai >>> Who's your crush then? You still have to tell me

Class was starting soon. So Kai shut off her phone, and took her coat off the saved seat. It looked like Lilly really wasn't coming.