A Sad Dream

[~Posted 6/11/21]

[A/N Sorry for the long time b/t updates. I got so discouraged. My mom isn't well, and then also all that happened with the book thieves just got me really down.

But you guys are really the nicest, most supportive crew ever—sending this gentle encouragement but waiting patiently too... you all are really too great. Thank you!]

Kai woke up sweating that next morning in her dorm room, clutching her faux-sheepskin blanket around her chin.

A dream. Fresh in her mind.

Her mother and father were sitting on the gray sofa in their living room, their faces bathed in sunlight. Kai felt like she was watching an old family video.

And then she glanced to the side of the room.

Beth!

Beth was there, too! Looking just like she'd looked in ninth grade: her hair pulled back in a ponytail, her bangs pinned aside with purple barrettes. Seated in the rocking chair, she rocked, back and forth, slowly.

Kai could almost smell them—the soft smell of their skin. The soapy smell of their clothes.

They were all smiling.

Then they looked over at Kai.

And their smiles vanished.

In a disappointed voice, her mother said, "My baby girl. You replaced me—with this Nina woman," Kai's mother said. "Is Nina she taking care of you like a mother should?"

"She's not my mom!" Kai cried. "She's just Nina!"

But her mother just continued. "I hope she takes care of you well."

And her mother began to fade.

Beth leaned forward and spoke up: "You have a new best friend now?" Kai noticed Beth was wearing one of their matching Pendleton plaid shirts—the one's they'd bought together from the outlet during a summer sale.

"Beth!" Kai tried to shout.

But Beth just continued: "Lilly, right? She's your best friend, now."

Kai cried out, "No, Beth. I miss you so, so much."

"I'm not jealous," said Beth. "You need to move on."

"I'm not moving on!" Kai was weeping.

Beth just watched her, shrugging. "I can't hear what you're saying, Kai."

Kai looked over to her dad. He was in the overalls he wore when he went outside to weed the edges of their driveway. His voice was gruff—but playful too.

"I'm the only man in your life, Kai. Are you about to replace me too?"

Kai shook her head and reached with both hands, forward. "Dad!"

He kept talking. "Who are you going to replace me with?"

"I'm not!" she shouted. And again, louder. "I'm not replacing you, Dad!"

"Is he going to be tall?" said her dad, chuckling. "As tall as me? Taller?"

"There isn't anyone," she shouted. Her voice was growing hoarse.

"Is he going to be good to you?"

Kai buried her face in her hands.

Her dad shook an index finger toward her. "Tell me when you're about to replace me too. OK, kiddo?"