Atop the Wall {Your POV}

"The garrison? You want to join the fucking GARRISON?" Eren Yeager was screaming now, his face contorted in a comical expression of disbelief. His arms were distended above his head and waving about. 

"I don't think that's such a bad thing, you know..." Conny added sheepishly. His eyes were trained on Eren's flapping appendages.

"Not a bad thing??? What would you even do in the garrison? You're too young to even drink!" Eren's face was beet red now, his emerald eyes bulging from their sockets.

You fiddled with a piece of your hair, trying desperately to avoid laughing at the sight. "Well, I'm not nearly as skilled as you guys... My ODM scores are practically zero-" 

"SO? Don't you want to see what's outside of the walls?" Eren was inching closer now, his legs unsteady on the Wall's concrete surface. 

"Not particularly, no." You flashed an innocent smile at him. "I've always wanted to help people, but I feel that my skills would be much more useful to those families within the walls." You rubbed the back of your head nervously. "Besides, not everyone has an iron will, Eren, I would probably freeze up the first time I was confronted by a Titan." You hoped that flattery would get the raging brute to drop the subject, but like a dog with a bone, he could not help but continue.

"She's right, Eren. She does have a knack for helping people!" Conny was visibly sweating now, likely hoping to calm the situation before they were reprimanded for shirking their duties.

"Then join the core you dolt!" He was screaming, but his juvenile insults missed their mark. "Reclaiming Titan territory would be the best thing you could do for humanity!" Eren seemed to be drunk on his rage, swinging about in such a way that you were afraid he would fall right off the ledge of the Wall.

"Well-," you whispered sheepishly, "I would also like to have a family of my own someday, and I enlisting in the garrison would be the best route for that, you know?" You could feel heat rising up your cheeks, knowing full well that you and Eren would soon be the same color.

Eren began to say something but was interrupted by Mina. "That's a wonderful aspiration, (y/n)!" Her smile was kind but serious, an unspoken urge to return to the task at hand.

Begrudgingly, Eren retrieved a cloth from the nearby wash bin. "Whatever. You want to waste your life in here, that's fine." The now wetted cloth made a loud squelch as it made contact with the cannon to his right. "I guess these things won't clean themselves, will they?"

You breathed a deep sigh of relief. "Thank you, Mina." You whispered, taking your place at her side. Your hands went through the motions of cleaning for only a moment before a furious whisper caught your ear.

"Hey! Hey guys!" Every head turned, their eyes landing on the fidgeting figure of Sasha Braus. Her left hand was tucked inside the breast of her coat. "Look what I got!!" Her voice was high and lilted, her eyes pinched shut in an expression of utter ecstasy. 

Sasha's hand was moving so slowly that it made time stand still. You could practically feel the electricity in the air. Each cadet's eyes were filled with morbid curiosity.

"It's.... MEAT!" She whispered gleefully, shoving a plump slab of mystery meat in your face. Her face was the image of euphoria, with her eyes shining in an almost alarming fashion.

You doubled over on yourself as your body burst into laughter. Mina and Eren followed suit, laughing until tears formed in their eyes.

"Where did you get that?!" Conny hissed, moving to block the view of the contraband to any passersby. "You're gonna get us-"

"I stole it." Sasha's face was deadly serious for a moment before she burst into laughter as well. "From the officer's provisions!" Her hysterical cackle fueled the already established chorus of laughter.

The moments passed and the laughter died down, each cadet finally reestablishing control over their emotions. Sasha tucked the meat back into her jacket, all the while lecturing her friends about the possibility of cattle farming once Titan territory had been reclaimed.

For one beautiful moment the hell below was distant as the sea. Each cadet was christened in the orange glow of the summer sun, their vibrant youth filling the air with a sense of hope and life. In that moment there were no titans, no imminent danger. They were happy. This moment, they believed, was the beginning of humanity's comeback.

Then, a bolt of lightning struck the ground just beneath their feet.

The seconds that followed felt like an eternity. Before your eyes the Colossal Titan manifested, his reeking flesh bearing down on your unsuspecting frame with the heat of a thousand suns. He looked down at you for what felt like an eternity, with his misshapen and bulging eyes piercing your very soul. 

You were sent careening off the side of the Wall by a blast of infernal steam. Your fingers toyed with the trigger of your ODM gear dumbly. Your eardrums trembled at the sound of falling debris and screams of terror and surprise. "I'm going to die here," you whispered into the wind, "this is the end." You closed your eyes, pressing hot tears onto your dirtied cheeks.

Clang.

Your body jerked toward the Wall as your grappling hooks found their mark. Your body slapped against the stone with a painful thud. A sob of relief wracked your body as you clawed at the structure. Your lungs felt as if they had been punctured, your legs turned to jelly by adrenaline.

You worked up the courage to look around you. You took inventory of your friends silently, your eyes welling with tears. It seemed as though everyone had survived relatively unscathed, with only the unconscious Samuel dangling by the metal rope of Sasha's hook. 

Someone called your name, but you could only muster a garbled acknowledgement. Your attention had been pulled upward by the emergence of the Colossal Titan's head over the side of the Wall. For a moment, you swore that you could see human agony in its eyes.

The gate beneath you burst inward, and with it, all the fiends from hell began their invasion.