Sins of Passion {Your POV}

The air filled with a sickening crack.

Bertholdt's fist had connected to the bridge of Marco's nose with gruesome force. His fists continued to rain down on Marco with blistering fury; months worth of pent-up rage had finally reached their boiling point. You watched helplessly as Bertholdt landed blow after blow and, when the assault finally ended, Marco's disfigured face made you want to retch. Marco lay on his side with his hands covering his crumpled mess of a nose. A deep gash highlighted his cheekbone with crimson.

"It's over, my love." Bertholdt stepped between you and Marco. His handsome face was splattered with his victim's blood and, despite his transgression, offered you an innocent smile. He placed his hand on your shoulder. "We should go. I'd hate for you to see this for longer than absolutely necessary."

You looked up at him in horror. "H-His nose.." Your tongue refused to cooperate any further.

"Broken." Bertholdt took a step closer to you. "He'll survive." He leaned down so that you were eye-level. 

You shied away from his touch. "His face.." You gagged.

Bertholdt's eyes widened. "Don't move away from me, love." He wrapped his arms around you. "I had to do this. I was protecting you." He planted his lips on your forehead. "Don't be angry, love."

"I-I'm not angry I just.." You looked up at him. "Why did you hit him so many times? What are the captains going to do to you?" 

"They will do nothing because Marco will not cooperate with them, right?" He turned his gaze to the broken boy and received a strained nod of agreement. "And he has kept you from me for much too long." He turned back to you with a smile. "Surely he knew that this could only end with me being by your side for eternity, right?"