Subtle Stars {Bertholdt's POV}

The night unfolded before them like the coldest of seas. It seemed as if the stars overhead twinkled for them alone as they made their way through the campground. They passed many a cadet on their way but Bertholdt could not shake the feeling that the gods had shown him their favor.

They stopped at the side of the stables and rested. Bertholdt filled his lungs with the icy air as rested his head on the rough wood behind him. His emerald eyes took in the immaculate scene before him; dark trees set against a starry background, a full moon hanging overhead, and the best of all, her. He smiled at the way she looked up at the stars with giddy enthusiasm. His heart raced at the sight of her beautiful features being illuminated by the moon's pale light. His mouth dried at the way her {h/c} locks twirled together in an eternal dance. He sighed softly at the magnitude of her beauty; how could she be so blind to the faultlessness of her own body?

"It's so beautiful out here." She whispered, her cheeks reddening from the crisp air.

"Beautiful." He repeated, his emerald gaze still fixed on her. He wanted to pull her close, to kiss the the peaks of her cheekbones, to have her.

She turned to him and smiled kindly. "Is there any particular reason you wanted to come out here?" Her voice was melodic and sincere, as if she were drawing him in with a siren's song.

Here's my chance, He thought. He could feel his heart racing as if he had barely escaped the clutches of a Titan. His brow began to sweat as his tongue fumbled over the words he had practiced for so long. "I-I just.."

She turned her head. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." Her voice dripped with melancholy.

"I want to tell you!" He cried, sitting up straight so that he could see her head on.

She jumped at the sudden noise. He could see the fear in her face and he realized that he needed to act fast.

He cupped her cheeks and pushed his lips against hers without a second thought.