𝚌𝚑29. 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚒𝚜 𝚠𝚎𝚊𝚔𝚗𝚎𝚜𝚜

december 14th, 2020

"kass? it's me again. i don't know how many times i can say it, but i'm so sorry. i didn't mean what i said. please call me so we can talk. i love-"

she pulled the phone away from her ear, deleting the message. this had been routine for the past few days; jc would call, leave a voicemail, and right before he could say those three words, she'd delete the message.

"he's really torn up, you know"

the seavey's had been one of the only places she cared to visit, but as daniel tried to convince her of jc's guilt, she was beginning to regret ever leaving the safety of her bedroom.

"yeah, you told me. six times."

"and you ignored me. six times."

"and yet that still wasn't enough for you to get the hint," she smiled sarcastically. when daniel frowned and took a seat next to her, she immediately stood from the couch and made her way into the kitchen, doing whatever possible to avoid another one of his 'just talk to him' speeches.

he sighed, standing to his feet and following behind her, "you can't ignore him forever, kassie"

she pulled open the freezer, scanning the shelves. "you're out of ice cream" she pointed out, completely ignoring his comment.

daniel rolled his eyes, "yeah, thanks to you and christian"

christian had been the exact opposite of daniel. instead of trying to convince kassidy to talk to jc, he'd been all for her pretending he didn't exist. he'd been the one she called when she needed a night of movies and ice cream, but sadly, he was busy today.

she hummed, closing the freezer and turning to head for the cabinets instead. daniel was quick to run in front of her, preventing her from moving any further, "kass, i'm serious."

"hi serious, i'm kassidy" she smirked.

"you're being difficult."

"it's what i do best" she shrugged, side stepping the seavey boy. when her search through the cabinets was unsuccessful, she settled herself at the dining room table and pulled out her phone.

daniel threw his hands up in frustration before settling himself across from her. he snatched her phone from her hands quickly and shoved it into his pocket, ignoring her complaints.

"give me my phone!"

"not until you talk to me"

"daniel, i'm 26 years old. i don't need to sit here and talk about my feelings, okay? i'm fine."

he studied her for a moment, taking in the way her breathing quickened and her bottom lip slightly trembled. "you're not fine, sweetheart, and that's okay. you don't need to be fine all the time."

"daniel, please" her voice was strained, as if she was holding back tears, "please just drop it."

"what he said was wrong, kassidy, and i won't defend him, but you need to talk to him."

"why?" she sighed, "why do i need to talk to him?"

"because you love him."

she clenched her eyes shut for a moment, as if the thought of loving him physically pained her. "he looks at her as if she's his world" she repeated the words she said to jc, "how do i compete with that?"

"you don't" he told her softly, "you can't compare yourself to her, kass, it'll break you."

she nodded slowly, chewing at her bottom lip. "i didn't want to fall in love with him" she laughed bitterly, "i didn't want to end up back where i started."