5

** This is just a tad short but the next few chapters should make up for the length of this one. I'd also like to thank you all SO much for all the love and support I'm getting on this book! Like woah only 5 chapters and you all seem to really enjoy it already! This is the first book that I already have a full plot to (that I've actually continued with - yikes) and I'm very proud of it so far and it brings me so much joy knowing you like it!

Please keep up the supportive comments, it really helps me find the motivation to write. These are unprecedented times so being able to see such nice comments really helps me get up and write. But I can not stress enough how thankful I am for those reading and thoroughly enjoying, you all are making my little black heart grow. 

Thank you and please enjoy!

--

One week prior 

A loud chop rang through the air as an axe swiftly cut through the last log. Wood splintering and small pieces scattering as the two pieces fell to the ground adding to the large pile. Sweat dripped from your brow down to your face in beads before they were wiped away. The dirty gloves you wore left specks of dirt on your face replacing the sweat. Your hands stung from gripping the old axe and your shoulders ached from the repetitive motion of swinging and chopping downward.

Out of breath and out of energy, you dropped the wooden handled axe beside you before collapsing onto the ground. Too exhausted to get back up, you stayed, but shifted onto your back to look at the sky. Orange and pink hues were painted above and the formally blinding sun sank behind a cluster of clouds. If it weren't for your current condition, you would've enjoyed it. But you held a blank look as you stared.

Your breath was seen in the air above you, no longer panting but still trying to catch your breath. The air around you was in stark contrast to your own temperature. It was cold but the sweat that slicked your body said otherwise. The jacket you had on was quickly disregarded once you had begun, along with another added layer, leaving you in a short sleeved shirt and long pants. You wore old work boots and gloves you had borrowed from your father, now both filthy with wood splinters and dust.

Pulling the fingers of the gloves, you took them off and slung them to the side of you. Your hands were calloused despite the gloves but you were grateful they protected you from splinters. Rough fingers met with your face as you tried to wipe away the excess dirt and sweat, but your hands would only do so much and you longed for a shower. You hesitantly sat up, your body aching and screaming as you did making you let out a groan.

"Fuck," you muttered to yourself, trying to find the will to stand up. Your hands and arms were shaky from overexertion, and you found yourself pulling yourself up using the fence beside you. Your shoulders burned from the work you did and your mind couldn't help but fixate on the pain. Leaning against the fence that aided you, you let out a sigh. Part of you wanted to collapse again but you fought it, propping yourself up with the wood of the fence.

A cold breeze blew by and you gently shivered, you were cooling down and the cold air was once again noticeable. Your eyes shifted to a familiar face once you heard the sound of a door closing. "Hi Mrs. Galliard," you spoke tiredly and hoped the older woman wouldn't notice the strain.

Upon hearing your voice, a smile made way onto her face as you turned to you. "Hi dear," she replied before stepping off of the porch and walking down the pavement in your direction. "I have something very exciting to share with you!" Her voice was cheerful and loving, the kind of motherly tone you loved to hear.

Her cheerfulness made you smile in the midst of your pain, "oh? I'd love to hear it, you know I love excitement," you replied.

The older woman let out a joyful hum before stopping at the fence in front of you, her pale hands resting on the railing you didn't occupying. "Porco wanted me to tell you that he's getting some time off from training next week," she explained as her smile grew. "It was the first thing he said when he came through the door last night, he's very excited to be coming back." The love and pride she had for her son was apparent in every word, expressing it how she spoke and her facial expressions.

Your smile grew with hers at this revelation, "that's great," you mused. "I spoke with him about a month ago, and by the looks of it he's working hard. A break is well deserved, it'll be nice to see him again." 

"It's such a shame you barely see each other now, you're all he used to talk about," her tone shifted slightly. Although proud of her son, she felt pity for him, seeing him in the worst of states when he came home. "Now he barely says a word about anything, he comes home sometimes too tired to stand. It'll be good for him to see you again, maybe it will lift his spirits?" She asked rhetorically with a small smile. Unbeknownst to you or Porco, she rooted for her son to be with you. You were kind, caring, hard working, and didn't put up with the young man's anger and attitude. 

"Don't walk away from me, asshole!"  You yelled down the street, now following after the blonde teen. "You can't just say shit like that to me and expect me to be ok with it!" 

Porco broke into run, but much to his dismay you continued to follow. "You're crazy! Stop following me! I'm not taking back what I said!" He yelled back, afraid to turn in your direction knowing that you were gaining on him. 

"Take it back or else, Pock!" You warned, earning him to stop in his tracks and look at you, knowing exactly what you were planning if he didn't take his words back and apologize. He muttered a small 'or else what?' as you crossed your arms over your chest. "Or else I'll tell your mom you're swearing again, or I could tell her who really broke part of the fence when you blamed it on Marcel, better yet I could tell her about that night you snuck out when you weren't supposed to because you were grounded." You spoke with a fake smile, "so apologize or I'll snitch on you." 

The blonde's eyes widened at the mere thought of you telling his dear mother any of the blackmail you had against him; he loved his mother with all of his being but she certainly held the wrath of a god when angry. "Ok, ok, I'm sorry for snapping at you, and calling you a stupid bitch, then pushing you and saying you were annoying. I'm sorry, ok? Just please don't tell my mom any of that!" 

You were taken back a bit by her words, hearing that you used to be the main topic her son spoke about. You were nonetheless surprised, but you didn't speak on it as she continued. "Would you do me a favor (Y/n)?" She asked rhetorically, "just- talk to him when he's back, like you would before he left? He's not like he used to be; he's never been a bubbly, cheerful boy but I've never seen him so. . .disconnected." Worry laced her voice and her facial expressions changed, she wore a small frown. 

Your smile fell at the mother's voice, you weren't the only one worried about the young man. Deep down you knew the woman's heart wrenched hearing her son would inherit a Titan, the very same Titan her eldest son held before his demise. It was terrifying how easy she could hide her fears; she was a strong woman. "I've noticed that too," you commented with a small sigh. "I'd like to think it's just his training, the Marleyan officials just wearing him down. But I think he's having a hard time adjusting- this wasn't the Titan he expected to inherit after all. . ." you treaded carefully with your words. You never brought up Marcel's passing after the news broke, you couldn't bear seeing the Galliard family in more anguish by bringing the boy up. 

"Marcel would be proud of him," you heard the woman hum. Your breath hitched in your throat, she hadn't uttered the name of her deceased son in months. "Although, he secretly didn't want his brother to inherit anything. . . he would be proud Porco still has the strength to keep going." A pained smile formed on her lips, the anger and sadness of grief slowly slipping away and turning into remnants of the past. "Stay by his side (Y/n), you and Marcel were closer to him than I ever was. Don't let him slip into unrest, for me? For all of us?" 

Her words took you by surprise and you gripped the wooden fence you leaned on with a sense of anxiety. You were now the only person he felt closest to, it made you uneasy and restless but collected and delighted simultaneously. The idea of being there for him when he needed it calmed you, but being the only one terrified you. Unbeknownst to you, you were one of the few keyholders to his happiness and grounding to earth. Porco often found himself happier and at ease with you, for no reason at all than being in your presence - as did you with him. It a balance that neither or you wouldn't dare admit, but continued with for years. 

You struggled with the two months apart, as did Porco, one party knowing exactly why and the other clueless to his own emotions. In that moment, a memory crossed your mind and you smiled. The night before he left for training was filled with celebration, joy, and alcohol. Porco's drunken words still leaving an impression in your mind, "if you're still dumb enough to stay by my side in thirteen years I guess I'll just have to marry you before I die."