10- Misunderstanding?

Sakurai backed away, until she hit the railing. A nervous expression was printed on her face, as her back hit the railing. Ayano walked towards her, with an innocent, confused look.

"What are you doing?" Ayano asked, in a voice that actually sounded human, unlike her usual emotionless tone. Sakurai felt her body tense up.

"Did you want something?" Sakurai said, casually. She could feel her palms grow clammy but she tried to remain calm, after all, she didn't want Ayano to find out that they were suspicious of her. Being in the drama club, Sakurai was pretty good at acting and managed to perform a good act of her usual self.

"I just wanted to speak to you." Ayano walked to the side of Sakurai and leant on the railing beside her.

"Okay! What did you want to talk about?" Sakurai turned to her and smiled, not taking her eyes off her. She didn't want Ayano to make any sly moves.

"You know about all the awful murders at school," Ayano began, looking at the distance, "Well I've been trying to find out who the culprit was for some time now. I thought I was really close to finding them but I lost my data on the victims. I'm really annoyed about it."

Sakurai's eyes widened as she heard the words fall out of the girl's mouth. Her expression looked so sincere, which was odd for Ayano. She usually kept the same emotionless face, but she appeared to be very passionate about the subject. Sakurai suddenly thought over everything, doubting the things that her and Michiyo had believed. But why has Ayano suddenly told me all this? To cover up?

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Because I wanted your help." Ayano's dark ponytail swayed slowly in the wind.

"Why me?"

"Because I trust you, if we work together then we might be able to find the one who is ruining everything..." Ayano spat out her lies so innocently, every word she said was believable. However, Sakurai was still unsure, since there were still other girls on the list who hadn't been eliminated yet, so how would Ayano know who was next.

As if reading her mind, Ayano piped up, "I wrote all the names of the girls who were eliminated and found out something. I remember that all of them had crushes on... T-Taro Yamada." Ayano struggled to say his name, turning away, so that Sakurai couldn't see her red cheeks, "I had also wrote down the names of girls that were in danger. If someone was killing people who had a crush on him, then surely those girls would be next, since I know they clearly have crushes on him too."

Sakurai suddenly remembered that HER name was on the list too, and wondered how Ayano knew that she liked Taro. However, Sakurai couldn't ask her because then Ayano would know that her and Michiyo had got hold of her list. And also why was Michiyo's name on there? Does Michiyo have a secret crush on Taro?

"So how did you know that they had crushes on him?" Sakurai asked.

"It's simple. For some of them it was quite obvious, and also since I just hang around doing nothing a lot, I accidentally hear some things."

So thats how she knew I like Taro. She must have heard something from any of me and Michiyo's previous conversations. Sakurai realised that it must have been a misunderstanding and that Ayano had just been trying to help all along.

"Impresive." Sakurai smiled at Ayano and to her surprise, Ayano gave a small smile back.

At Michiyo's house~

"Really?!" Michiyo exclaimed in disbelief, slouching back in her chair, "well now I feel bad. I snooped around in her room AND took her information."

"She asked me for my help on it, but I want you to help us too. Your smarter than me." Sakurai said.

"Oh shush. I will try to help as best as I can, bearing in mind that it's my last day at school tomorrow." her tone suddenly changed, "I don't want to leave you at that school, it's dangerous there.."

"I know it is, but I don't think there is any more room for students at nearby schools for me. I need to solve this case anyway, I don't want anyone else to suffer."

A tear ran down Michiyo's cheek. "I'm so sorry. I don't want to leave you there, but my parents are giving me no choice." She threw her arms around Sakurai and gave her a tight hug.

"It's okay. We will stop this."

"Oh yeah, before I forget." Michiyo pulled out a small box, showing a beautiful, silver ring with 3 stars in the middle. "It's kinda like friendship bracelets- but rings! See, I have one too!"

The next day~

Sakurai and Taro had texted last night for hours, until it was almost 3am. The two of them were even closer and were laughing together in the classroom, whilst everyone waited for the teacher to come in. Ayano peered in the classroom as she walked past, gritting her teeth at the sight of them laughing. She clenched her fist tightly, digging her nails into her palm. Finally, she reached her own classroom and her hands had turned red from how hard she was clenching her fists. Michiyo saw her walk through the door and rushed over to her. Michiyo was hoping to spend her last day at the school being nice to everyone, and settling past arguments or drama with any students.

"Hey Ayano!!" Michiyo gave her a friendly wave. Ayano nodded back, forcing a smile. Then the teacher walked into the classroom, beginning the class.

Breaktime~

Sakurai and Michiyo were talking together near the fountain, soaking in the warm sun.

"I see your wearing your ring!" Michiyo exclaimed, "So am I!" They held their rings up together and giggled. They turned their heads to the side and Ayano was seen in the distance, walking towards them.

"Hey again, Ayano!" Michiyo said, since she had already seen Ayano in class.

"Michiyo, can I talk to you privately? It's about the culprit, I just wanted to share information."

Michiyo nodded, before asking Sakurai if she was okay with being alone.

"Its alright. I can see Taro over there, anyway. So I can just talk to him." Sakurai said, grinning gently. Ayano narrowed her eyes a bit, hearing those words. As Ayano left with Michiyo, Sakurai felt a buzz from her phone. She pulled it out of her pocket and her eyes darted to the message someone had left her.

"Meet me in the abandoned classroom, third floor, northern wing. - Info Chan"