Chapter 9

The New Lois

Lois's eyes opened and she took in her surroundings, immediately looking for Bucky.

She was sitting against her shower on her fuzzy rug. Her hands, which were put in some fuzzy socks, were cuffed to her cabinet door. A piece of tape covered her mouth.

She looked up and on the sink was a glass of water, Advil, and a few pink flowers tied in a little bow.

She jerked on the handcuffs a little to try and get herself free. It seemed she wasn't quite enough. Bucky opened the door of the bathroom with her file in his hand. The file she was supposed to find behind Alpine.

"You've been out for 2 hours." He sat down in front of her and looked at her. "I couldn't let you run away, I'm sorry. Hydra can't find me, I won't do that stuff anymore."

Lois watched as he slid her file closer to her.

"I found it yesterday after you left to go to the hospital." He looked at her with his sad blue eyes that she always fell for. "Can I take the tape off your mouth?

Lois nodded slowly.

Bucky carefully pulled the tape off, apologizing when she hissed at the sting.

"I know you have to read this so I'm going to leave and I'll be gone by the time you get out of those handcuffs. You can try to track me down but I wouldn't." Bucky stood up and started walking to the door.

Lois's heart pounded in her chest and her face felt hot. "Bucky!"

He turned to face her over his shoulder.

Lois's vision became blurry as the tears pooled in her eyes.

Bucky closed his eyes and clenched his jaw. "I can't help you. I can't trust you."

"I promise it's me." She kicked the file away with her feet. "Just don't leave!"

Bucky rubbed his tired eyes and leaned against the door. She could have told her Hydra handler about him, and she was very dangerous. "Tell me what happened when you left for work the other day."

Lois nodded, then sniffled a little. "These men chased me through the hospital. I thought I got away, I was going to get back here but this man trapped me in the elevator and he started saying these words."

"They activated you with your trigger words." Bucky hit his head against the wall. His eyes closed and his face was stressed.

"I've done horrible things. I remember things that I never remembered before. I don't know why I attacked you." She looked up at him, "I'm so confused."

"Do they know where you are? Did you tell them about me?"

"They know about the apartment but not about you. I swear. I didn't remember you as you, only as the Winter Soldier." She bit her cheek, struggling to find the words. "Not you as my Bucky."

Bucky took a deep breath in and out.
"How can I trust you?"

"I don't know." She looked down at her hands.

Bucky scratched his face and left the washroom. He sat down on the side of her bed, leaning on his knees and waiting. He heard her call his name and panic. He heard the clinks on the handcuffs. She was trying to get free, as he knew she would do.