Chapter 23

The Big Guys

"Starving?" Bucky asked Lois as she walked out of the bathroom. The smell of eggs on toast made her insides scream in joy because she was downright starving.

She placed her backpack on the ground in the living room and ran for food.

Bucky passed her a plate and Lois poured them both some water from his fridge. They walked into his barren living room. He didn't have any proper furniture to sit on, only the new couch he'd been sleeping on. He turned to her and smiled awkwardly.

"I don't have a table."

Lois chuckled softly. She passed him to sit on the ground and leaned against the sofa. He copied.

Lois dug into her food right away. With her stomach rolling, she was too hungry to talk. Bucky watched her as she scarfed down the eggs. "And I thought I was hungry." He muttered.

Lois, with her full mouth, glared at him as she chewed and swallowed.
"I was too nervous to eat yesterday."

"Why?"

"Because I was finally going to be seeing you and I knew it was going to go one way or the other."

Bucky took a sip of his water then spoke, "What other way could this have gone?"

"I don't know. You could've had a girlfriend."

Bucky raised his eyebrow at her. "What would you have done if I did?"

"Probably got a hotel for the night."

"I'd still let you take the couch." He smiled.

"No. I wouldn't have stayed here." She said with a serious tone.

His smile dropped, "What? Why not?"

"I wouldn't want to mess up your new life, dragging up the past and all."

Bucky shook his head. "I still would have wanted to talk to you. I never looked for you because I hoped you didn't get blipped like I did and you moved on with your life; got married, had kids, the whole thing."

"Well I did move on and get my shit together but I didn't forget about you."

"I didn't forget about you either."

Lois finished her breakfast and placed her plate on the ground neatly. "I've got a scary question to ask you. Don't freak out."

"Nothings scary when it comes out of your mouth, beautiful." He smirked.

"Can you have kids?"

Bucky almost choked on his food, which turned into a coughing fit.
"Do you... think I can't?"

"Well... I was just thinking about it. I don't know to remember a lot of stuff Hydra did to me."

Bucky took a sip of water, then asked, "Do you want children?"

Lois shrugged. "Do you?"

Bucky laughed, "I'm unemployed, can't afford a dining table, and got back to sleeping on the couch instead of the floor. Definitely not right now, that's for sure."