Chapter 11

The Handler

Lois held tightly onto the railing in the train car, knuckles slowly turning white. She felt a cold shiver, a warning that she was being watched from the moment she got onto the train.

At least Bucky wasn't with her, she thought to herself.

For some stupid reason, knowing that Bucky wasn't in immediate danger made her feel better. She didn't like that she relied so much on that feeling, so she convinced herself it came from a place of guilt.

The train lurched forward, bodies shuffled around as it stopped to let more passengers off. As a man passed her, Lois placed a small, indiscrete, headphone in her ear that had a connection to Bucky. Whatever Lois would be be heard by him too."

"Buck?" She said, covering her word with a cough.

She waited only a few moments before he spoke back through the grainy headset, "You alright?"

She hid a smile of relief at his deep voice. "Yeah."

She was almost at the location, and Bucky was already there. He asked, "Are they on the train?"

"Think so." She whispered back, as the train started moving again. Lois felt her gun tap her thigh.

Lois looked out the window at her oncoming destination, the museum. It was a tall building, pale on the outside but full of old relics on the inside. The dark sky made it look grave and gloomily.

"I'm here." Lois said to Bucky as she stepped off the train and onto the station platform once the doors had opened. Scanning her surroundings, she saw a man in a leather jacket standing in the quiet station. Lois kept moving and found her way out without triggering any alarms or security. She could hear the footsteps of the man behind her. He was decently far back and the fact she could hear him with her enhanced senses filled her with adrenaline. She was stronger than she ever believed she could be.

Bucky watched Lois walk across the street to the museum.

Bucky left #17 with her rifle and some of the other weapons in an old guitar case he picked up in SALA's trash. He walked and scouted out the area, planning all escape roots, blind spots, and cameras.

He would help her as he said he would, but he would not risk letting his face be seen.

"Buck." Her voice was hushed and all though he had a clear sight of her, he felt growing anxiety for what could happen to her.

"I'm on a roof. Eastside." He whispered back. The man that was following her stopped trailing her and walked over to his side. "He's below me now."

Bucky quietly pulled out his sniper's rifle, he used the scope to help him see what she was seeing.

"Incoming."

A car was flashing its lights, the engine reviving. The car slowly started creeping in Lois's direction.

The shakiness of her voice was evident but she was putting on a brave front.

"Lois... wait."

She didn't reply. The black car pulled in front of Lois and the door opened. "Get in." A familiar voice called her from the darkness of the car. She stepped inside without a moment of hesitation. She couldn't have a hesitation, 17 wouldn't.